POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dinner with 25ct. Server Time
4 Sep 2024 07:14:43 EDT (-0400)
  Dinner with 25ct. (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Shay
Subject: Dinner with 25ct.
Date: 17 Mar 2010 13:28:30
Message: <4ba1113e@news.povray.org>
My wife has never been to this group and has only seen a few of my
POV-Ray images. But, when I told her that Steve Paget was dead, she knew
exactly whom I was talking about.

I never got a chance to speak to Steve, but I always assumed that I
would. We had long standing plans to meet at "Greasy Sid's" the next
time I was in his country. My wife and I would take a bus up to his
vowel-less address, Steve would maybe work at reshaping my old scull
ring for a few minutes, and then he and I would keep our wives up late
bullshitting about scene composition and heavy metal.

Steve had an artistic sense that was the exact opposite of mine. He was
fearless. An anthropomorphized slot machine had bushy eyebrows, a
nervous chemist dripped with sweat, ants kicked up dust as they marched
-- scale, realism, and consistency be damned. And it's perhaps because
of this compelling perspective that, even though we weren't close, Steve
was one of the people I talked to when I was talking to myself. He still is.

I'm very fortunate in that Steve left me with a couple of things. One is
the picture attached to this post. Steve mentioned that he'd like one of
my images on a shirt. This is Steve in that shirt, and his response to
my sending it to him is a great example of the kind of guy he was. Even
though we were only "Internet friends", Steve felt no obligation to make
some perfunctory offer to pay for the shirt. He had a cool and instantly
familiar "way" with people that didn't require such motions.

The other thing he left me with is this recipe for lamb hotpot:
http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0w4847.html
He sent me the link, but I don't know that he ever followed it himself.
This was meant as an example of one of his favorite dishes from his
"mum's" kitchen. Nevertheless, this is as close as I'll get to "Greasy
Sid's" in Whales. So, I prepared it last night, and my wife and I had
our ersatz dinner with Steve. I thought a few here might like to do the
same.

  -Shay

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: