POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mozart Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Mozart (Message 11 to 20 of 25)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Mozart
Date: 14 Mar 2010 09:47:18
Message: <4b9ce8e6$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> Actually to me the enjoyment of listening to music is not about the
> technical difficulty of the music but the emotion that is put into and
> comes out of the playing.

Indeed.

If anything, the trouble with sophisticated toccattas, preludes, fugues
and so forth is making them sound interesting to non-musicians. IMHO,
Bach did this better than most. Still, it's definitely an aquired taste...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> Actually to me the enjoyment of listening to music is not about the
>> technical difficulty of the music but the emotion that is put into and
>> comes out of the playing.
>
> Indeed.
>
> If anything, the trouble with sophisticated toccattas, preludes, fugues
> and so forth is making them sound interesting to non-musicians. IMHO, Bach
> did this better than most. Still, it's definitely an aquired taste...

I wanted to post a link to Ravel's "Concerto in D major for the left hand"
 but unfortunately I did not find one with both a good execution and a
correct sound .
But that is a tricky score and yet very deep and emotional work.

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 14 Mar 2010 15:01:59
Message: <4b9d32a7$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> He did say pieces of classical piano music.
>
> If you want difficult to play, look for "Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz".
> I would say listen to it but that requires that it is possible to play
> it correctly, which I hear is not possible.

Unless he means "classical" in the strict sense (which I doubt since I'd
tend to call the Moonlight sonata early- or transition-romantic anyway)
then I'm also talking about the same type of music.  Even if you exclude
the really insane avant-garde pieces there's plenty of normal classical
  (in the general sense) piano music which is harder than the Moonlight
Sonata.

Also, my understanding is that Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz was written
as a piece of music-notational art (or a notational joke) and as not
intended to actually be played, so I wasn't counting it (as well as any
number of electronic or player piano pieces which would also be
impossible to actually perform).

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 14 Mar 2010 16:55:00
Message: <web.4b9d4cf93c7d3a519982a2880@news.povray.org>
horrid

though I understand techno and classical music fans have one thing in common:
they appreciate music for itself, without the need for lyrics.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 14 Mar 2010 17:00:01
Message: <web.4b9d4d473c7d3a519982a2880@news.povray.org>
> Kevin Wampler wrote:
> > Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> >> (Damnit, now I'm going to have to find out what the original sounded
> >> like.)
> >
> > Dude, nemesis posted you a link to the original you're talking about a
> > few days ago and you even commented on it.
>
> Wow. It was *that* memorable?

It was the only one you enjoyed.  One piece from Mozart's Requiem, the
Lacrymosa.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 14 Mar 2010 17:00:01
Message: <web.4b9d4e143c7d3a519982a2880@news.povray.org>
> Stephen wrote:
>
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swkT07TP-mo
>
> Hmm... Actually, I do remember that. I suspect YouTube doesn't really do
> it justice though.
>
> > Do you like keyboard music?
> >
> > Try
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlkLfuJscZc
>
> Nah, I never have liked piano music much. The piano is just such a
> boring instrument. It can sound nice as part of a larger piece of music,
> but on its own it's just dull.

to each his own.  I find organ mostly boring too. :)

When I first fell in love with the piano as a child, I found its metallic sound
incredibly futuristic! :D

I also enjoy the harpsichord, at least the flemish ones.  Guess I enjoy metallic
percussion.

Of course, the instrument is a just a media to the music.  You should give music
a chance.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 14 Mar 2010 17:15:00
Message: <web.4b9d50ef3c7d3a519982a2880@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   The third movement is actually one of the most involved (and difficult)
> > pieces of classical piano music ever:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZaTzSWqXCU
>
> I'm sure it's really, really hard to play. It just doesn't sound
> particularly pleasing to the ear.

You're truly unbelievable.  Then again, you're not alone in thinking Beethoven
was hard on the ears:  Chopin had the exact same opinion.  Though he really
enjoyed Mozart music. :)

I'm not all for complexity for complexity's sake, but that movement is truly
mindblowing.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 14 Mar 2010 17:41:18
Message: <4B9D57FA.2040806@gmail.com>
On 14-3-2010 21:54, nemesis wrote:
> horrid
>
> though I understand techno and classical music fans have one thing in common:
> they appreciate music for itself, without the need for lyrics.

I like classical music, especially a capella ;)

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Mar 2010 18:15:36
Message: <4b9d6008$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:

> to each his own.  I find organ mostly boring too. :)

Actually... so do I. ;-)

However, there are a few pieces of organ music which sound really
awesome, which kinda makes up for it. ;-)

> Of course, the instrument is a just a media to the music.  You should give music
> a chance.

Well yeah, there is that too...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: nemesis
Date: 14 Mar 2010 23:15:01
Message: <web.4b9da5433c7d3a519982a2880@news.povray.org>
andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> On 14-3-2010 21:54, nemesis wrote:
> > horrid
> >
> > though I understand techno and classical music fans have one thing in common:
> > they appreciate music for itself, without the need for lyrics.
>
> I like classical music, especially a capella ;)

I do appreciate some operas and oratorios too.  But thankfully, I don't
understand a thing of what those voices are talking about.  They still work
beautifully as instruments though.

Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>