POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Coding in ___ is like ___ Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Coding in ___ is like ___ (Message 27 to 36 of 66)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Coding in ___ is like ___
Date: 26 Feb 2010 11:26:41
Message: <4b87f641$1@news.povray.org>
>> I'd say that Perl is like
>
> PHP is exactly this, yes.

Oh dears.

>> I'm not familiar with Ruby, Scheme, or Mozart. Of course I've heard of
>> all these things, but I don't know anything about them. (I started
>> reading a Ruby tutorial, but the random inconsistant syntax put me
>> off. And the ham.)
>
> Yep. And the fact that the guy who wrote the most definitive texts
> doesn't actually know what the language does. (At several points in the
> Axe book, the author says "It seems to do this" or "it apparently does
> that.") And the fact that between minor version 18 and minor version 19
> they made a bunch of unneccesary and seemingly trivial changes to
> defaults that would nevertheless break any program that relied on those
> defaults. Those are the main reasons I never really pursued it.

Yes.

And the thing with the ham...

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 26 Feb 2010 11:28:28
Message: <4b87f6ac@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> Makes sense.  I think the runtime code generation was what I was
>> particularly interested in,
>
> Huh. That's one part I don't think changed that much.

It's also entirely possible that I'm remembering
incorrectly/incompletely here.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 26 Feb 2010 11:33:10
Message: <4b87f7c6$1@news.povray.org>
Captain Jack wrote:

> Coding in SNOBOL is like writing a phone book because... well, because that
> was all it was ever used for.

Wow, it's not often I hear that language mentioned.  Apparently it was
also somewhat popular with people in non-technical academic fields since
they found the string processing capabilities useful.

One of these days I'm going to learn it just because I'm curious about
it, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Post a reply to this message