POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strength Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Strength (Message 1 to 10 of 34)
From: Invisible
Subject: Strength
Date: 9 Feb 2010 06:20:21
Message: <4b7144f5$1@news.povray.org>
So here's a curious little thing...

I noticed the other day that some of the cars in the showroom were
parked on little metal ramps. Now here's the puzzling thing. My car is
only little, and that weighs 1.25 tonnes. Some of the bigger cars surely
weigh even more than this. So these ramps have multiple tonnes bearing
down on them... and they're made from 2mm steel.

Now obviously somebody far, far smarter than me has carefully calculated
how thick the steel needs to be to hold a given amount of weight. But
these things look so utterly flimsy, it looks like you could bend them
with your bare hands. And yet, you can park a car on them, and they
don't even distort slightly.

I am at a loss to explain this.

Post a reply to this message

> I noticed the other day that some of the cars in the showroom were parked
> on little metal ramps.

You mean like these:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~mmckenzie/files/VX_CHARGED_S/ramps.JPG

> Now here's the puzzling thing. My car is only little, and that weighs 1.25
> tonnes. Some of the bigger cars surely weigh even more than this. So these
> ramps have multiple tonnes bearing down on them... and they're made from
> 2mm steel.

The bigger cars are probably at most 2000 kg, worst case is say 70/30
front/rear weight distribution, so I'd say max 700 kg on each ramp (if you
put the front wheels on it).

> Now obviously somebody far, far smarter than me has carefully calculated
> how thick the steel needs to be to hold a given amount of weight.

Well it seems to me that there are 4 vertical columns supporting the weight,
so probably max 200 kg or a max force of 2000 N in each column.

There's a neat formula that Engineers use to determine the maximum load a
column can take without buckling, find it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling

A bit of rearranging gives us a formula for I (the required area moment of
inertia):

I = F * (K*L)^2 / (pi^2 * E )

In this case we have:

F = 2000 N
K = 0.5
L = 0.3 m
E = 200 GPa

So I = 2.3 x 10^-11 m^4

This allows you to choose what shape and thickness to use.

For simplicity assume a cylindrical rod is used, the formula for the 2nd
moment of area is:

I = pi/4*r^4

Rearranging:

r = (4*I/pi)^(1/4) = 2.3 mm

So there you go, make it out of diameter 5 mm steel rod and you'll be fine!

Post a reply to this message