POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Strength : Re: Strength Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strength
From: scott
Date: 9 Feb 2010 09:05:20
Message: <4b716ba0@news.povray.org>
>> Well from experience most cars are pretty equal for left/right weight
>> distribution, and as I said worst case is probably 70% on the front
>> wheels. So yes, probably 35% of the total weight is the maximum on any
>> single wheel.
>
> Hmm, interesting. I wouldn't have expected that to work.

What, that a car has more weight on the front wheels than the back?  Most
front wheel drive cars on the roads are configured like this.  Some rear
wheel drive cars have more 50/50 weight distribution, others (if they have
the engine in the back) can have more weight on the rear wheels than the
front.  Of course the car's suspension and so-on is designed for this, so
you probably won't notice much when driving normally.

> Sure. I just meant that they probably design them to easily support more
> weight than any common car that somebody might try to put on them.

You would think so.

> Isn't the worst-case when you drive the car onto the ramp and the
> suspension jiggles it up and down over one support column?

Probably.  But I really suspect in the design of these things that they just
make a few and test them.  I highly doubt they do some computer simulation
or really complex calculation to figure out what size metal to use - it just
wouldn't be worth it because it's so quick to just make a few and test them.

> So... what the hell is the thickness of a tin can then?

0.2 mm or thereabouts.

> Those seem to deform pretty easily.

You mean by squeezing them on the sides?  Well yes, I can bend my ruler too
pretty easily and that's 1mm thick!  What you're doing there is essentially
using a huge lever, you are moving your fingers a few cm to cause a
contraction/expansion of a few microns in the surface of the material,
generating a huge stress which causes it to permanently distort.  Now try to
permanently stretch a tin can by pulling on each end :-)