POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another probability question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Another probability question (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Warp
Subject: Another probability question
Date: 8 Feb 2010 07:53:44
Message: <4b700958@news.povray.org>
In many tabletop games where a d100 is required, it's a common trick to
throw two (differently-colored) d10's instead, and use one of them
multiplied by 10 and the other as is (because a physical d100 is very
cumbersome and impractical to use). For example, if you throw a white d10
and a black d10, the white could be used as the tens, and the black one
as the ones. The end result is the same as when throwing a d100: An even
distribution. (Many die sets even contain a d10 with multiples of 10
instead of regular 0-9 numbers, for this exact purpose.)

  However, suppose that you use a variant of this: Throw two d10's and
then the larger result is always used as the tens, and the other as the
ones. (So for example if you throw a 7 and a 2, then the result is 72,
but if it had been a 2 and a 7, the result would still be 72.)

  What is the probability distribution now?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message