POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Probability question Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  Probability question (Message 11 to 20 of 38)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Probability question
Date: 8 Feb 2010 08:42:55
Message: <4b7014df$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> So are you *really* trying to estimate coin flips? Or is there some
>> more complex problem you're trying to solve here?
>
> Not really more complex, just a game that is played repeatedly and you
> have a certain % chance of winning (say 57%).  I just want to know if
> you play 10,100, 1000 times what is the *likely* number of wins in some
> kind of worst case and best case scenario.  ie it's obviously possible
> to win every single game, but that is *really* unlikely, I want to know
> how many you'd win with 90% or 99% confidence.

Right. So it's ye olde "2SD = 95% confidence" rule then.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 8 Feb 2010 11:07:17
Message: <4b7036b5$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I presume it's relatively easy to work out the inverse function for a
> normal distribution...

Actually it's impossible to analytically compute.  Fortunately many
pieces of software have a built in function to numerically compute it.

Post a reply to this message

>> I presume it's relatively easy to work out the inverse function for a
>> normal distribution...
>
> Actually it's impossible to analytically compute.

Define "analytically".

Last time I checked, it's impossible to compute the square root of a
number "exactly" - and yet it's trivially easy to approximate it to any
desired accuracy.

Post a reply to this message

>>> I presume it's relatively easy to work out the inverse function for a
>>> normal distribution...
>>
>> Actually it's impossible to analytically compute.
>
> Define "analytically".

As a closed-form expression.  As I said, it's still possible to compute
numerically.

Post a reply to this message

>>> Actually it's impossible to analytically compute.
>>
>> Define "analytically".
>
> As a closed-form expression.  As I said, it's still possible to compute
> numerically.

And Sqrt[2] erf^-1 (2z - 1) doesn't count because...?

Post a reply to this message

>>> Define "analytically".
>>
>> As a closed-form expression.  As I said, it's still possible to
>> compute numerically.
>
> And Sqrt[2] erf^-1 (2z - 1) doesn't count because...?

erf isn't an elementary function.  See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-form_expression

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function#Taylor_series

Post a reply to this message

>>> As a closed-form expression.  As I said, it's still possible to
>>> compute numerically.
>>
>> And Sqrt[2] erf^-1 (2z - 1) doesn't count because...?
>
> erf isn't an elementary function.  See:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-form_expression
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_function#Taylor_series

Right. So what you're actually saying is that you can't compute the
confidence interval exactly using a finite number of applications of a
particular arbitrarily chosen set of functions - the elementary functions.

Post a reply to this message