POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Illumination Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Illumination (Message 29 to 38 of 48)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Illumination
Date: 7 Feb 2010 17:15:38
Message: <4b6f3b8a$1@news.povray.org>
>> True - although muscle contraction is a cascade of chemical reactions
>> triggered by electricity.
>
> Not really. Nerve activity is a chemical process that dumps charged
> particles out of one end to start the chemical reaction at the other end
> of the next nerve cell. But it's primarily chemical as it travels thru
> the nerve, unlike electricity in wires.
>
> Novocain, for example, works by suppressing the chemical reaction in the
> nerve.

The way I read it, nerve conduction works primarily electronically
(i.e., along the length of the nerve cell body) and uses a chemical
stage to traverse adjacent nerve cells (i.e., the synaptic junction).
Electricity is the primary reason why nerves conduct fast - to the point
that mylinated nerves conduct faster due to the extra insulation.

(The part where the nerve connects to the muscle fiber is also chemical,
as is the process by which the muscle contracts.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> True - although muscle contraction is a cascade of chemical reactions
>> triggered by electricity.
>
> Not really. Nerve activity is a chemical process that dumps charged
> particles out of one end to start the chemical reaction at the other end
> of the next nerve cell. But it's primarily chemical as it travels thru
> the nerve, unlike electricity in wires.

No. It travels within a cell as an electrical signal. Although ions are
involved it is not a chemical process, except at the nerve endings.
Muscle is activated by cells originating in the backbone or even the
brain. Nerve cells axons can be a meter in length in human, in blue
whale slightly larger.

> Novocain, for example, works by suppressing the chemical reaction in the
> nerve.

Post a reply to this message

>>> True - although muscle contraction is a cascade of chemical reactions
>>> triggered by electricity.
>>
>> Not really. Nerve activity is a chemical process that dumps charged
>> particles out of one end to start the chemical reaction at the other
>> end of the next nerve cell. But it's primarily chemical as it travels
>> thru the nerve, unlike electricity in wires.
>>
>> Novocain, for example, works by suppressing the chemical reaction in
>> the nerve.
>
> The way I read it, nerve conduction works primarily electronically
> (i.e., along the length of the nerve cell body) and uses a chemical
> stage to traverse adjacent nerve cells (i.e., the synaptic junction).
> Electricity is the primary reason why nerves conduct fast - to the point
> that mylinated nerves conduct faster due to the extra insulation.
>
> (The part where the nerve connects to the muscle fiber is also chemical,
> as is the process by which the muscle contracts.)

Actually also that is partly true. If the cell did not maintain an
electric field over the membranes (both cell and SR) it would not function.

Post a reply to this message