POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Free will Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:17:07 EDT (-0400)
  Free will (Message 27 to 36 of 36)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Free will
Date: 5 Feb 2010 11:57:04
Message: <4b6c4ddf@news.povray.org>
> Why it is important to define the term "free will" before arguing whether we
> have it:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6S9OidmNZM

> For the zinger, start five minutes in. :-) But it's worth watching the whole
> thing. Creepy.

  It would have been nice if they had actually *demonstrated* that they
could predict the choices, rather than just *claim* they can. It would have
been much more impressive.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 5 Feb 2010 14:40:42
Message: <4b6c743a@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   It would have been nice if they had actually *demonstrated* that they
> could predict the choices, rather than just *claim* they can. It would have
> been much more impressive.

True. It looked more like an entertainment/news show than anything
scientific. I bet if you watched the show, they'd tell you the web site,
where you could find enough stuff to look up the citation of the paper they
probably published. Just not on youtube. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

> >   It would have been nice if they had actually *demonstrated* that they
> > could predict the choices, rather than just *claim* they can. It would have
> > been much more impressive.

> True. It looked more like an entertainment/news show than anything
> scientific.

  Well, it would have been a lot more impressive as entertainment if the
guy monitoring in the other room would have predicted the choices of the
test subject 5 seconds prior to him making him.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Well, it would have been a lot more impressive as entertainment

Agreed. I wonder if there was a technical or legal reason they couldn't take
the cameras there.

And again, it might have just been how whoever posted it on youtube editted it.