POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bit Torrent Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Bit Torrent (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Bit Torrent
Date: 17 Jan 2010 05:39:04
Message: <4b52e8c8@news.povray.org>
Ah yes, Bit Torrent. The idea is simple; every download client is also
an upload server. And by sharing the load in this way, each client has
hundreds or even thousands of possible servers to choose from, and can
select the one with the best transfer rate from their location.

There's a big long paper about how all this works, but we can summarise
as follows:

- Every downloader is also an uploader.

- Each downloader connects to multiple uploaders.

- Downloaders try to download from the fastest uploader [from their
location on the network].

- Uploaders upload fastest to the peers they download fastest from.
Thus, hypothetically, the faster you upload, the faster you can
download. This encourages fairness.

- In the interests of fairness, once you've fully downloaded a file,
you're supposed to leave the torrent running for a while so that others
can download it from you.

Tools like Azureus even keep a track of your "share rating" for each
file, and a total rating. The better your share rating, the more you're
helping to seed the torrents you've downloaded.

Now, here's where it all falls apart:

- I have ADSL. That stands for ASYMMETRIC Digital Subscriber Line. In
laymen's terms, by download rate is about 5x faster than my upload rate.
I can download at the speedy rate of around 310 KB/sec, but I can only
*upload* at a maximum of about 46 KB/sec.

- This means that it is physically impossible for me to upload
particularly fast. That should hypothetically result in low download speeds.

- As it happens, seeders by definition don't download anything. So they
can't upload to others based on how fast they download form them. They
therefore upload to the fastest clients. So I still get a nice download
rate.

- However, this means that by the time I've downloaded a file, by share
rating for that file is about 1%.

- No problem, I can just leave the torrent running for a while...

- But wait! This torrent has 450 seeders and 3 downloaders. And I
sometimes see 200 KB/sec from a single seeder, so... why THE HELL is any
peer going to download from me at a piffling 40 KB/sec when there are
peers out there at least 5x faster?

- In short, I typically get upload rates of about 2 KB/sec (while
downloading or seeding). [No, I'm not firewalled.]

- The whole share rating thing is a bit short-signed too. If I upload
10MB to a 100MB torrent, I get a 10% rating. If I upload 100MB to a
1,000MB torrent... I get a 10% rating. In one case I've helped way, way
more, but I still get the same rating.

- More grave: If I upload 100MB to a 500MB torrent with 100 seeders and
3 downloaders, I get a 20% rating. If I upload 100MB to a 500MB torrent
with 3 seeders and 100 downloaders, I have helped out way, way more. But
I still only get a 20% rating.

In short, my ability to give is vastly smaller than my ability to take.
Not because I'm greedy, but because of the underlying technology. And BT
software rates me on how much data I upload, rather than on how helpful
I'm actually being. So Azureus is doomed to sit there for weeks
uploading 2 KB/sec to torrents that probably don't need the help anyway
just so my global share rating can approach unity...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> And BT software rates me on how much data I upload,

You're aware that the share ratio isn't actually part of the protocol,
right?  Nobody is keeping track of that except you and perhaps some private
trackers out there?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

> - I have ADSL. That stands for ASYMMETRIC Digital Subscriber Line. In
> laymen's terms, by download rate is about 5x faster than my upload rate.
> I can download at the speedy rate of around 310 KB/sec, but I can only
> *upload* at a maximum of about 46 KB/sec.
>
> - This means that it is physically impossible for me to upload
> particularly fast. That should hypothetically result in low download
> speeds.
>
> - As it happens, seeders by definition don't download anything. So they
> can't upload to others based on how fast they download form them. They
> therefore upload to the fastest clients. So I still get a nice download
> rate.
>
> - But wait! This torrent has 450 seeders and 3 downloaders. And I
> sometimes see 200 KB/sec from a single seeder, so... why THE HELL is any
> peer going to download from me at a piffling 40 KB/sec when there are
> peers out there at least 5x faster?

The wikipedia article mentions some aspects of BT that specifically take
this into account.

> - The whole share rating thing is a bit short-signed too. If I upload
> 10MB to a 100MB torrent, I get a 10% rating. If I upload 100MB to a
> 1,000MB torrent... I get a 10% rating. In one case I've helped way, way
> more, but I still get the same rating.

But in all technicality, you've helped exactly the same, relative to the
whole torrent.  Which is the only relevant measure.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Post a reply to this message