POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Avatar Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Avatar (Message 51 to 60 of 85)
From: DungBeatle
Subject: Re: Avatar
Date: 22 Jan 2010 15:44:17
Message: <4b5a0e21$1@news.povray.org>
news:4b5a0d93@news.povray.org...
> Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
> >         And if they hadn't made the characters so one
dimensional, then I'd
> > have liked the movie more.
>
>   Btw, I have always wondered exactly what is it meant by
"one dimensional
> character". I assume it's something related to character
development,
> but maybe concrete examples of "one-dimensional"
characters and
> "non-one-dimensional" characters in some movies (and why
they are
> considered such) could help understanding better.- Warp

Pretty good article here:
http://www.authorsden.com/visit/viewarticle.asp?AuthorID=10109

~db

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 22 Jan 2010 15:45:39
Message: <4b5a0e71@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
> If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

  I think it's sad if the only thing people care about you is that you pay.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 22 Jan 2010 15:47:30
Message: <4b5a0ee1@news.povray.org>
> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 04:33:08 -0500, Warp wrote:

> >   Speaking of which, when was the last time you saw a movie which had
> > something *genuinely* original, something which hadn't been put into any
> > form of storytelling before (and self-pretentious incomprehensible cheap
> > art films don't count because that's not storytelling, it's randomness)?

> It doesn't count because you don't understand it?

  No, it doesn't count because it's not storytelling, but randomness.

  I could make a random number generator create an image full of noise
and claim "this is a completely original image, never seen before". That
might be technically true, but it isn't saying much.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 15:47:30 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 04:33:08 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> >   Speaking of which, when was the last time you saw a movie which had
>> > something *genuinely* original, something which hadn't been put into
>> > any form of storytelling before (and self-pretentious
>> > incomprehensible cheap art films don't count because that's not
>> > storytelling, it's randomness)?
>
>> It doesn't count because you don't understand it?
>
>   No, it doesn't count because it's not storytelling, but randomness.

Just because you aren't seeing a story doesn't mean there isn't one
there.  It just means that for you, the method by which the story is
being told is incomprehensible.  Doesn't mean it's that way for everyone.

>   I could make a random number generator create an image full of noise
> and claim "this is a completely original image, never seen before". That
> might be technically true, but it isn't saying much.

But what you're saying is in fact a true statement.

What you're doing is constraining a set using a subjective definition
(that subjectiveness is "if I don't understand it, then it doesn't
count", and is implied in the way you stated the condition).

You've done this in a couple of recent posts, which is why I mentioned
it.  My example of counting to 10 was taking it to an absurd level to
make a point about it.

In other news, did you know that no resistor has an orange band, if you
exclude resistors that have orange bands?  Wow, that's amazing isn't
it! ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message