POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Dimensions (Message 91 to 100 of 105)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Dimensions
Date: 14 Jan 2010 14:23:01
Message: <4b4f6f15$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> In other news, both feathers and hammers fall at the same speed in
> airless conditions.

Just once, I'd like to verify this experimentally...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Jan 2010 15:15:56
Message: <4b4f7b7c@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Stephen wrote:
>> Do you call that an argument? LOL
>
> No, I call that a partly definition.

:D

>> From my memory of mechanics at school, hp was more an advertising unit ;)
>> Bloody farmers couldn’t tell an erg from an egg :-)
>
> Hp can be misleading, since it can mean lots of different hp's. It can
> be either SAE or DIN and from the crankshaft or from the tires etc.

Well I probably don’t think of hp as being anything as other than what
non-technical people say. Who knows what work a horse can do nowadays?
If the health and safety or animal welfare people allow it ;)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> Just once, I'd like to verify this experimentally...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

Of course, it wouldn't be *that* hard to do on earth.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Forget "focus follows mouse." When do

Post a reply to this message

>> Just once, I'd like to verify this experimentally...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk

So much for "they did it on a soundstage and slowed it down". :-P

> Of course, it wouldn't be *that* hard to do on earth.

Yeah, because a high vacuum is easy to come by. Oh, wait...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>> Just once, I'd like to verify this experimentally...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C5_dOEyAfk
>
> Of course, it wouldn't be *that* hard to do on earth.

I've seen a demo of this in a few science museums.  It's pretty nifty,
but in the vacuum they both fall fast enough that you don't really get
to look at it for long.

Post a reply to this message