POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Should private schools be banned? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Should private schools be banned? (Message 87 to 96 of 136)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Should private schools be banned?
Date: 4 Jan 2010 06:34:40
Message: <4b41d250$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Ok, it might not be "fair" that all children are not given the same
> opportunities, but do you really want to lower the overall education level
> of your entire country just in the name of "fairness"?

As somebody who actually lives in the UK, I don't think banning private
schools would do anything positive.

Hypothetically, everybody should have an equal chance in life. Obviously
this is impossible, but we can still strive to get as close to it as
possible.

However... closing private schools isn't going to make this happen.

If you're going to ban "private schools", first you have to define what
one is. If that sounds silly, consider that people run phone-in
competations which are really just gambling, but manage to circumvent
gambling laws because they add a question to the competation, therefore
placing it under a different branch of law.

If you try to ban private schools, there will be similarly absurd
loopholes that people will exploit. And even if they can't, rich kids
will still end up getting the best books and learning materials, the
finest tutors for after-school extra tuition, and so on and so forth.
They'll still have a vast advantage over everybody else.

Yes, it would be nice if the world was perfect. But this isn't the right
way to achieve that. Banning private schools would just make a lot of
work for law-makers and law-enforcers without actually achieving anything.

Post a reply to this message

> As somebody who actually lives in the UK, I don't think banning private
> schools would do anything positive.

As somebody who actually lives in the UK, I think that church schools
should be banned too.

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> As somebody who actually lives in the UK, I think that church schools
> should be banned too.

They still have those?! Man...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> >   Ok, it might not be "fair" that all children are not given the same
> > opportunities, but do you really want to lower the overall education level
> > of your entire country just in the name of "fairness"?

> As somebody who actually lives in the UK, I don't think banning private
> schools would do anything positive.

> Hypothetically, everybody should have an equal chance in life. Obviously
> this is impossible, but we can still strive to get as close to it as
> possible.

  I really do think that forcing "equal opportunity for everybody" by
removing privileges from the rich is *not* the proper solution.

  That's a bit like saying that everybody should have the same quality of
vision, and to do that, we make everybody blind so that now truly everybody
will be equal in terms of vision. That's just silly.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

--