POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:19:18 EDT (-0400)
  Why people don't like Star Wars I (Message 97 to 106 of 126)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
Date: 22 Dec 2009 13:17:05
Message: <4b310d21$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Hey, everyone's entitled to an opinion.  But I'll give those who are
> actually handicapped taking something like the premise behind this film a
> bit more credence when they stand out and say that the premise of the
> film is flawed because it makes the *assumption* (and therein lies the
> problem) that all people who are handicapped *want* to be "made whole"
> and feel inferior to fully-abled people.
>
> The message that is being received by some in that community is "if
> you're handicapped, you're not a whole person" - and if I were
> handicapped, I'd find that suggestion offensive as well.
>
> Jim

My point though is, that may be the "percieved" message to some people,
not what is at all intended. As with Warps example of the deaf kid, you
can get people who just flat out can't see past their own position on a
matter, and presume that there is a message that isn't there. Mind, I
still haven't seen it yet, so can't say for sure, but neither have the
people **making** the claim. As such I am highly skeptical that this is
an accurate portrayal of what the film intends, never mind does,
suggest, except in the minds of someone over sensitive of the issue. It
sounds too much like the ridiculous gibberish you got from the barely
recognizable adaption of "The Golden Compass", by just about everyone
with some sort of imaginary chip on their shoulder, none of whom had
read the book, and all of whom thought they could pronounce about the
content of a movie that wasn't even showing in theaters yet, based on
what they *imagined* the book said, sight unseen.

In other words, I have seen, and too often now expect, reactionary
behavior, not clear arguments, from people that have no way of knowing,
since they couldn't have possibly seen anything suggesting what they
claim, and refuse to see the movie, so don't know what it actually does
say/suggest. People do irrational things when they *think* something is
attacking something they care about, and they will often do so in the
complete absence of information. And, unfortunately, some people make
the "disabled community", and their particular hangups on some things,
almost religious in intensity and reactionary behavior.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {