POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I : Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Dec 2009 21:24:48
Message: <4b317f70$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 19:53:18 -0500, Warp wrote:

>  I don't think anybody *wants* to be
> handicapped.

People who are handicapped and have learned to deal with it and lead what
by their own measure is a normal life are pretty amazing; nobody wants to
be unable to do things they want to, sure - but also many people who do
have permanent handicaps do not want to be treated differently or told
that they're not "normal".  That reminder is quite painful for some,
because it focuses on what they *can't* do (or more often, on what abled
people think they can't do) rather than what they *can*.

That's the problem some of the people I know in that community have with
it - the idea that it focuses on what the injured soldiers can't do and
that they couldn't possibly lead a fulfilling life without being made
"whole".  Again, based on a 3-minute trailer, so I'm reserving judgment
until I've had a chance to see it, but I can understand why it might piss
some people off.

Jim