POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why people don't like Star Wars I Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:25:05 EDT (-0400)
  Why people don't like Star Wars I (Message 81 to 90 of 126)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Why people don't like Star Wars I
Date: 21 Dec 2009 16:31:31
Message: <4b2fe933@news.povray.org>
> Oh no, that's quite common. You're legs remember how to walk

  Perhaps reading out loud what you write could help? I'm pretty sure you
don't pronounce "you're" the same as you pronounce "your".

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 21 Dec 2009 16:43:36
Message: <4B2FEC06.60203@hotmail.com>
On 21-12-2009 22:31, Warp wrote:
>> Oh no, that's quite common. You're legs remember how to walk
>
>   Perhaps reading out loud what you write could help? I'm pretty sure you
> don't pronounce "you're" the same as you pronounce "your".

I am pretty sure he does pronounce them the same, otherwise he would not
make that mistake.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 21 Dec 2009 16:58:03
Message: <4b2fef6b@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> On 21-12-2009 22:31, Warp wrote:
> > Orchid XP v8 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> Oh no, that's quite common. You're legs remember how to walk
> >
> >   Perhaps reading out loud what you write could help? I'm pretty sure you
> > don't pronounce "you're" the same as you pronounce "your".
> >
> I am pretty sure he does pronounce them the same, otherwise he would not
> make that mistake.

  Do British people pronounce "you" and "your" the same way?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 Dec 2009 17:31:29
Message: <4b2ff741$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:

> I am pretty sure he does pronounce them the same, otherwise he would not
> make that mistake.

Indeed, the pronounciation is pretty similar.

Much like the way every known human pronounces "flower" and "flour"
identically.

On the other hand, I frequently get "make" and "made" mixed up, for an
entirely different reason. :-/

Basically I suck at writing...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 21 Dec 2009 17:35:00
Message: <web.4b2ff7db55ed18fce23264650@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > >
> > >   Perhaps reading out loud what you write could help? I'm pretty sure you
> > > don't pronounce "you're" the same as you pronounce "your".
> > >
> > I am pretty sure he does pronounce them the same, otherwise he would not
> > make that mistake.
>
>   Do British people pronounce "you" and "your" the same way?

Many of us pronounce "you're" and "your" the same, myself included. It's a very
common mistake to get them confused in writing.

(excusable? no. common? yes. ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Dec 2009 18:03:39
Message: <4b2ffecb$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Oh no, that's quite common. You're legs remember how to walk
>
>   Perhaps reading out loud what you write could help? I'm pretty sure you
> don't pronounce "you're" the same as you pronounce "your".

That's what I do to remember numbers. Say them out loud so I can hear
them. That way there are two input paths ;)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Dec 2009 18:06:51
Message: <4b2fff8b$1@news.povray.org>
Bill Pragnell wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>>>
>>> I am pretty sure he does pronounce them the same, otherwise he would not
>>> make that mistake.
>>   Do British people pronounce "you" and "your" the same way?
>
> Many of us pronounce "you're" and "your" the same, myself included. It's a very
> common mistake to get them confused in writing.
>
> (excusable? no. common? yes. ;-)

He're he're ;)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 21 Dec 2009 18:09:23
Message: <4b300023@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Basically I suck

So you do have some use :P

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 21 Dec 2009 18:15:01
Message: <web.4b30011155ed18fce23264650@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aolDOTcom> wrote:
> Bill Pragnell wrote:
> > (excusable? no. common? yes. ;-)
> >
> He're he're ;)

Argh, the pain! Must... suppress... pedantry...

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 21 Dec 2009 18:25:37
Message: <4B3003EF.1080104@hotmail.com>
On 21-12-2009 23:31, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>
>> I am pretty sure he does pronounce them the same, otherwise he would
>> not make that mistake.
>
> Indeed, the pronunciation is pretty similar.
>
> Much like the way every known human pronounces "flower" and "flour"
> identically.

So, am I not human or am I not known? I do pronounce them differently.
flower is a clear 2 syllable word whereas flour is almost a one syllable
word for me. Subtle but definitely not identical.
Or do you mean that I pronounce the Dutch words for flower (bloem) and
flour (bloem) the same? Because that is indeed the case.

> On the other hand, I frequently get "make" and "made" mixed up, for an
> entirely different reason. :-/
>
> Basically I suck at writing...

Nothing a good editor would not catch. I have a different problem: the
good editor catches nothing.