POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HWN Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  HWN (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: HWN
Date: 5 Dec 2009 14:00:38
Message: <4b1aadd6$1@news.povray.org>
Heh, I just found a few nice quotes from the Haskell weekly news:

"Any sufficiently misguided opinion is indistinguishable from deep insight."

"One does not simply >>= into Mordor."

"I was TA for a C++ programming course aimed at 1st year physics once.
Some girl asked for help. 'I wrote pseudo-code but I cannot translate it
to C++'. Her pseudo-code was valid Haskell. I cried."

"I swear that most of higher-dimensional category theory must have been
arrived at by some guys sitting around in a room with a blackboard and
saying "What if a drew a diagram like *THIS*!?" and drawing some insane
scribble up on the blackboard, and then everyone tries to figure out how
to turn it into meaningful mathematics."

"If you read a haskell book or an FP book, by chapter 5 it's already
doing data structures. It's chapter 10 in imperative books."

"I'm on a rollomorphism."

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> "I was TA for a C++ programming course aimed at 1st year physics once.
> Some girl asked for help. 'I wrote pseudo-code but I cannot translate it
> to C++'. Her pseudo-code was valid Haskell. I cried."

	Stolen for my taglines file - thanks!

> "If you read a haskell book or an FP book, by chapter 5 it's already
> doing data structures. It's chapter 10 in imperative books."

	I'm sure SICP gets there quicker. The whole book is only 5 chapters.

--
BREAKFAST.COM Halted... Cereal Port Not Responding.

Post a reply to this message

> "I was TA for a C++ programming course aimed at 1st year physics once.
> Some girl asked for help. 'I wrote pseudo-code but I cannot translate it
> to C++'. Her pseudo-code was valid Haskell. I cried."

  I would be really surprised if that was a real story.

> "If you read a haskell book or an FP book, by chapter 5 it's already
> doing data structures. It's chapter 10 in imperative books."

  It depends on the book, really.

  If I were to write a book on C++, I would start with object-oriented
programming concepts and the first C++ keyword which would appear in the
entire book would be "class".

  (I really think that books which start with "main()" or a "hello world"
program are starting from the wrong end of the spectrum.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>> "I was TA for a C++ programming course aimed at 1st year physics once.
>> Some girl asked for help. 'I wrote pseudo-code but I cannot translate it
>> to C++'. Her pseudo-code was valid Haskell. I cried."
>
>   I would be really surprised if that was a real story.

Yeah, I would imagine it's more like "it was _almost_ valid Haskell".

Unless this girl happened to be an actual Haskell programmer in the
first place, of course... Otherwise it's unlikely it would be exactly
runnable. But I guess it might be close if you're used to the
mathematician's way to explaining things.

>> "If you read a haskell book or an FP book, by chapter 5 it's already
>> doing data structures. It's chapter 10 in imperative books."
>
>   It depends on the book, really.

Well, this is true. Of course it's a blanket generalisation.

>   If I were to write a book on C++, I would start with object-oriented
> programming concepts and the first C++ keyword which would appear in the
> entire book would be "class".
>
>   (I really think that books which start with "main()" or a "hello world"
> program are starting from the wrong end of the spectrum.)

I guess having Hello World means you've got something you can actually
compile and run, and thereby check that your C++ compiler is set up
right and you know how to work it... But yes, for learning the language,
it's probably not the best place to start. But if you want a *runnable*
C++ program, you need to know about main() and so forth.

(Haskell has the advantage here that you can run code snippets in an
interpretter before you've learned how to make a "runnable program".
Haskell books usually have Hello World near the back. Then again, maybe
somebody somewhere has a C++ interpretter, or at least some C++
boilerplate for running small example fragments?)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/