POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : HWN : Re: HWN Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: HWN
From: Warp
Date: 5 Dec 2009 15:00:47
Message: <4b1abbef@news.povray.org>
> "I was TA for a C++ programming course aimed at 1st year physics once.
> Some girl asked for help. 'I wrote pseudo-code but I cannot translate it
> to C++'. Her pseudo-code was valid Haskell. I cried."

  I would be really surprised if that was a real story.

> "If you read a haskell book or an FP book, by chapter 5 it's already
> doing data structures. It's chapter 10 in imperative books."

  It depends on the book, really.

  If I were to write a book on C++, I would start with object-oriented
programming concepts and the first C++ keyword which would appear in the
entire book would be "class".

  (I really think that books which start with "main()" or a "hello world"
program are starting from the wrong end of the spectrum.)

--
                                                          - Warp