POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VMware Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  VMware (Message 1 to 10 of 69)
From: Invisible
Subject: VMware
Date: 11 Dec 2009 06:02:36
Message: <4b2226cc$1@news.povray.org>
My only experience of VM technology so far has been with a freeware
program called QEMU. (I also briefly touched BOCHS, but never really
used it much.)

QEMU has the nice feature that it's, like, 1.5 MB or something, and it
doesn't need to be "installed"; you just run it. That means you can put
a VM image and a copy of QEMU onto a USB stick, and take it anywhere and
run it on any PC. And when you're gone, there will be no evidence that
you were ever there. You can run Windows, Linux, MS-DOS, whatever.

Only trouble is, it runs slower than treacle. But hey, you're running a
PC emulator ON A PC! What do you expect?

So anyway, it turns out we have a license for me to install VMware
Workstation on my PC. I have now done so. Observations:

- OK, wow. This sucker is a 0.5GB download?! o_O

- Oh man, this is some serious product. It's installing custom device
drivers all over the place. Custom network driver (presumably for
connecting the VM to the Real World?), custom USB driver (so, what, you
can use physical USB devices from inside the virtual machine?), custom
video driver (uh, why...?) This is gonna be good...

- OK, this thing has some pretty sweet management capabilities. With
QEMU, you run the image tool to create an empty HD image, and then you
run QEMU.EXE with half a billion switches to tell it where the disk
images are and what hardware to emulate. (If you're sensible, you will
put this in a batch file!) Once you've got a few VMs and several
snapshots, good luck keeping track of all your files! o_O VMware seems
to make all this way, way easier.

- My God, installing Windows on a VM is *faster* than installing it on a
physical PC?! How is this possible?? O_O (OK, actually, installing from
the Windows CD is about the same speed. But installing from an ISO image
of the CD is much faster. I guess my fileserver's RAID array can serve
data faster than a cheap optical drive, eh?)

- Heh, interesting. It askes for a bunch of settings to autoconfigure
Windows, and then doesn't use them anyway. That's cute.

- I can't believe how fast the VM runs, or how little system resources
it requires. I've allowed 0.5GB of RAM to it, and yet it seems to be
using less RAM than Outlook. (Outlook eats 30MB, VMware takes only
27MB.) While the VM isn't doing anything, it takes no CPU power. In
fact, most of the time it seemingly takes no CPU power. The only thing
it really does hammar is the HD, which makes the rest of the computer
seem kinda sluggish at times...

- Nice how it shows you CD, HD and network activity on the side on the
window. If only there was a CPU indicator...

- I like the "snapshot manager" thingy. That's really nice.

- Pity the VMware window insists on constantly resizing itself, even
when I tell it not to. Ooo, but in fullscreen mode, Windows changes its
resolution to match my screen. (Presumably due to the VMware Tools that
automatically installed itself.) I wonder if there's some way to make
the activity indicators still appear in fullscreen mode?

OK, time to go check out the thing I actually came to test... ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> So anyway, it turns out we have a license for me to install VMware
> Workstation on my PC. I have now done so.
>
> OK, time to go check out the thing I actually came to test... ;-)

Wow... OK, Word 2007? Nothing like any other version of Word, ever.
Like, the UI is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT now. Wow. o_O

Post a reply to this message

> Wow... OK, Word 2007? Nothing like any other version of Word, ever.
> Like, the UI is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT now. Wow. o_O

Yes. You don't read the news? Office 2007 is over 2 years old already...

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

>> Wow... OK, Word 2007? Nothing like any other version of Word, ever.
>> Like, the UI is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT now. Wow. o_O
>
> Yes. You don't read the news? Office 2007 is over 2 years old already...

There's a place where a new version of Office is considered newsworthy?

Post a reply to this message