POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VMware Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  VMware (Message 10 to 19 of 69)
<<< Previous 9 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: VMware
Date: 11 Dec 2009 11:17:29
Message: <4b227099$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> - I like the "snapshot manager" thingy. That's really nice.

Be careful you don't turn on the snapshot and leave it for a long time.
("long time" being "more than a day".)  It's writing all the changes to a
new file, and when it's time to integrate that back into the main disk (if
you want to), it takes a loooooong time if the snapshot is big.  Just don't
leave it on by accident and work on stuff for a week, or you'll spend five
hours putting the changes back in the disk.

This is also good info:

http://www.luisrocha.net/2008/11/splitting-your-vmware-virtual-disk-into.html

Helpful when it comes time to start backing up this sucker.

If you're running Linux (or any other OS that's easy to zero unused
sectors), you can make disk backups really small by zeroing unused sectors,
then copying the files into a compressed directory on Windows. (I suppose
gzipping them under Linux would work just as well, for that matter.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)