POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VMware Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:22:49 EDT (-0400)
  VMware (Message 60 to 69 of 69)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: VMware
Date: 14 Dec 2009 07:39:33
Message: <4b263205$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> I am a sick, sick individual. I'm trying out Virtual Box by running it
> INSIDE A VIRTUAL MACHINE! :-D
>
> I created a VMware virtual machine, installed Windows, installed Virtual
> Box for Windows, and then created a Windows VM inside that.
>
> Perhaps unsurprisingly, this doesn't actually *work*. (Presumably the
> CPU hardware doesn't support nested virtualisation...)
>
> (I wonder... Is there some option I can flip inside VMware to make
> nested VMs work? Perhaps if I turn off hardware virtualisation or
> something...)

Yep, there is: Disable binary acceleration. Now Virtual Box quite
happily runs the Windows XP install CD. (I probably shouldn't let it
complete though... VMware runs dramatically slower in this
configuration. Curiously, not as slow as QEMU - or maybe it's because I
have a faster PC now?)

Post a reply to this message