POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VMware Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  VMware (Message 40 to 49 of 69)
From: Eero Ahonen
Subject: Re: Office 2007
Date: 12 Dec 2009 10:26:01
Message: <4b23b609$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> While I won't deny having said that, I certainly don't remember it.

Well, you didn't say it in those exact words, but it evaluates to this:

> O2k7
> was designed based on actual measurements of millions of people using
> Office. Most people aren't very logical. :-)

;)

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 12 Dec 2009 10:29:47
Message: <4b23b6eb$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> I think the only time was when I was running Windows 3.1 on a 286 with
> 16MB of RAM, and I asked it to print out a 3D Mandelbrot graph I created
> using VBA... That choked it.

16-bit Excel (I actually didn't know one has even existed) already had VBA?

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Eero Ahonen
Subject: Re: VMware
Date: 12 Dec 2009 10:35:12
Message: <4b23b830$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> I hear that Windows 2003 Server (?) comes with a "hypervisor" which runs
> on the real metal, and then 2003 itself actually runs as a
> paravirtualised guest. Or something like that...

Isn't that 2008, that runs on HyperV?

-Aero

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Dec 2009 10:42:10
Message: <4b23b9d2@news.povray.org>
Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> I hear that Windows 2003 Server (?) comes with a "hypervisor" which runs
>> on the real metal, and then 2003 itself actually runs as a
>> paravirtualised guest. Or something like that...
>>

> Isn't that 2008, that runs on HyperV?

Plausibly.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2009 11:36:19
Message: <4b23c683$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> That's called sarcasm, Betelgeuse dude.
>>
>> notice however that there are some people who truly think like that.
>
> ...which is why I thought you might be serious. ;-)

It's called Poe's Law.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2009 11:39:09
Message: <4b23c72d$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Can you say how to make the VMware Tools for Linux actually install? :-P

Everyone at my work decided to switch distributions from debian to ubuntu on
the VM because Ubuntu is being kept up to date. OK, so I take the VM, run
the updates, VMware tools crashes, which means everything performs like a
pig, not unlike X11 at 9600 baud.

I say "What's up with that?"  They say "Oh, yeah, don't install updates. It
kills VMWare tools."

Well, good thing I spent 3 weeks switching over to the new VM.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>>> That's called sarcasm, Betelgeuse dude.
>>
>> notice however that there are some people who truly think like that.
>
> ...which is why I thought you might be serious. ;-)

me, the anti-M$ Linux guy?

Post a reply to this message

I think *everybody* is against the idea of an M$ Linux. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

> I think *everybody* is against the idea of an M$ Linux. ;-)

I think I missed a colon...

Post a reply to this message

> Well, good thing I spent 3 weeks switching over to the new VM.

Luckily you did have a snapshot from before running the updates. Right?

;)

-Aero