POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VMware Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  VMware (Message 20 to 29 of 69)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: VMware
Date: 11 Dec 2009 14:31:29
Message: <4b229e11$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Our VMware "expert" claims that pre-allowating the HD image can result
> in reduced load on the HD subsystem (obviously at the expense of more
> disk space eaten).

Probably.

> Given that the main disk image is 1.5GB but the snapshots are only 300MB
> each, I figured it was doing some sort of compression.

No, it's just keeping a list of sectors you've ever written anything to.

> Oh, definitely. And that's why I was hoping that the VMware Tools might
> include a tool to zero unused sectors. But apparently not...

Linux does.  I don't know of anything in vmware to deallocate sectors, even
if they're all zeros.

> Ooo, hey. Crazy idea: I could set up my VM how I want, and then boot
> from the Ghost boot CD and take a Ghost image! It only copies used
> sectors, and has compression built-in.

That would probably work, yes.

> More annoyingly, to get VMware Player they demand that you register an
> account using a real name, etc.

Why is that a problem?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 11 Dec 2009 14:36:39
Message: <4b229f47$1@news.povray.org>
>> Given that the main disk image is 1.5GB but the snapshots are only
>> 300MB each, I figured it was doing some sort of compression.
>
> No, it's just keeping a list of sectors you've ever written anything to.

I assumed that's what the main image file was doing also.

>> Oh, definitely. And that's why I was hoping that the VMware Tools
>> might include a tool to zero unused sectors. But apparently not...
>
> Linux does.  I don't know of anything in vmware to deallocate sectors,
> even if they're all zeros.

Linux has a way to zero unused disk blocks?

(I'm not surprised that this doesn't make VMware release those blocks,
however... Should make the file more compressible though.)

>> More annoyingly, to get VMware Player they demand that you register an
>> account using a real name, etc.
>
> Why is that a problem?

I dislike having to "register" to get my hands on supposedly "free"
software.

In my mind, "free" software is software that you can use anywhere you
want. But from the looks of this, the software has to be "activated". So
even though it's "free", you can only have it on a single computer, and
so on. And you have a serial number to not lose, and... it's just more
hassel.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>>> Given that the main disk image is 1.5GB but the snapshots are only
>>> 300MB each, I figured it was doing some sort of compression.
>>
>> No, it's just keeping a list of sectors you've ever written anything to.
>
> I assumed that's what the main image file was doing also.

It depends how you configure things.

> Linux has a way to zero unused disk blocks?

dd if=/dev/zero of=/xyzzy bs=1M count=... ; rm /xyzzy

> (I'm not surprised that this doesn't make VMware release those blocks,
> however... Should make the file more compressible though.)

It does.

> I dislike having to "register" to get my hands on supposedly "free"
> software.

There's an easy cure for that. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)