POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VMware : Re: VMware Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VMware
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Dec 2009 17:02:52
Message: <4b22c18c$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 08:45:39 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> The other thing people use snapshots for is so they can either try
> something that might break things, or to make the vdisk back-up-able
> while it's running.

I use it for having a "known good" state for my Windows VMs - that way,
if things get hopelessly screwed up, I can go back to a state where
things are known to be working.

I usually apply patches/updates (antivirus and the like), reboot, let it
run for a little bit to see if there are any issues, and then merge the
snapshot in with the base, shrink, and then take a new snap.

Jim