POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My name is Dexter Dew... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  My name is Dexter Dew... (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay
Subject: My name is Dexter Dew...
Date: 8 Dec 2009 08:46:20
Message: <4b1e58ac@news.povray.org>
...according to the spam I receive.  I've been getting "Dexter Dew" spam for
about 4-5 years now.  I'm also "Patricia Gardner", but to a much smaller
extent.  I made a rule to automatically send anything with those names
directly to my spam folder, so it's not all that much of a nuisance, less
than regular spam, actually.

Mostly, I think it's funny.  Someone, I'm sure, scammed the spammers.  "We
not only have email addresses, but we have names to go with them!"  Yes,
they do.  No, they aren't the right names.

Post a reply to this message

> Mostly, I think it's funny.  Someone, I'm sure, scammed the spammers.  "We
> not only have email addresses, but we have names to go with them!"  Yes,
> they do.  No, they aren't the right names.

It's more likely to get past anti-spam systems. Nothing like using a
plausible real-world name as the recipient's name. There are probably
anti-spam systems that automatically trap mail with no real person name.

Post a reply to this message

>> Mostly, I think it's funny.  Someone, I'm sure, scammed the spammers.
>> "We
>> not only have email addresses, but we have names to go with them!"  Yes,
>> they do.  No, they aren't the right names.
>
> It's more likely to get past anti-spam systems. Nothing like using a
> plausible real-world name as the recipient's name. There are probably
> anti-spam systems that automatically trap mail with no real person name.

Yes, and that's why you get tons of spam with random real names. But
consistently getting spam with the same and wrong real name? That's strange.

Post a reply to this message

>> It's more likely to get past anti-spam systems. Nothing like using a
>> plausible real-world name as the recipient's name. There are probably
>> anti-spam systems that automatically trap mail with no real person name.
>
> Yes, and that's why you get tons of spam with random real names. But
> consistently getting spam with the same and wrong real name? That's strange.

Probably one spammer who uses only a single real name for whatever reason...

Post a reply to this message