POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : My name is Dexter Dew... : Re: My name is Dexter Dew... Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My name is Dexter Dew...
From: Captain Jack
Date: 9 Dec 2009 09:42:00
Message: <4b1fb738$1@news.povray.org>
"Jeremy "UncleHoot" Praay" <jer### [at] questsoftwarecmo> wrote in message
> ...according to the spam I receive.  I've been getting "Dexter Dew" spam
> for about 4-5 years now.  I'm also "Patricia Gardner", but to a much
> smaller extent.  I made a rule to automatically send anything with those
> names directly to my spam folder, so it's not all that much of a nuisance,
> less than regular spam, actually.
>
> Mostly, I think it's funny.  Someone, I'm sure, scammed the spammers.  "We
> not only have email addresses, but we have names to go with them!"  Yes,
> they do.  No, they aren't the right names.

Both "Dexter Dew" and "Fred Drew" (and variations on that theme, like "Dex
Drew") are names that were commonly used by a salesperson I used to work
with about twenty years ago. He'd use them when he would demonstrate
software; he'd type the names at the keyboard when the demo called for
entering a customer name on a sales order, for example.

I asked him why he always used those names, and he pointed out that they
could both be easily typed by one hand, since all of the characters are
clustered together on one side of a QWERTY keyboard. How odd to see it
again.

--
Jack