POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Switzerland & minarets Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Switzerland & minarets (Message 13 to 22 of 92)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Switzerland & minarets
Date: 2 Dec 2009 16:11:42
Message: <4b16d80e@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> If it is about forbidding
> muslims to have a tower to signal the start of a prayer - like christians
> do - than yes, I think this is xenophobic and the outcry of people in
> whole europe is fully justified.

  Hence democracy is a bad thing because people can vote for the wrong
things.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Pesth
Date: 2 Dec 2009 16:22:02
Message: <4b16da7a$1@news.povray.org>
Am Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:11:42 -0500 schrieb Warp:

> Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>> If it is about forbidding
>> muslims to have a tower to signal the start of a prayer - like
>> christians do - than yes, I think this is xenophobic and the outcry of
>> people in whole europe is fully justified.
>
>   Hence democracy is a bad thing because people can vote for the wrong
> things.

It's not democracy which is bad, but the people who want to get rid of it
by abusing it.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 2 Dec 2009 16:28:42
Message: <4B16DC0A.4020801@hotmail.com>
On 2-12-2009 22:11, Warp wrote:
> Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote:
>> If it is about forbidding
>> muslims to have a tower to signal the start of a prayer - like christians
>> do - than yes, I think this is xenophobic and the outcry of people in
>> whole europe is fully justified.
>
>   Hence democracy is a bad thing because people can vote for the wrong
> things.

Tom Lehrer in 'Send the MArines': And till they've seen the light,
they've got to be protected, all their rights respected, 'till somebody
we like can be elected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93n-EmGknEU

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Dec 2009 16:32:11
Message: <4b16dcdb$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Why didn't that happen in 2000?

It was a different argument. I don't think there was a tie of electoral
votes. There was a problem with the popular votes in a couple of states.
There's really only (approximately) one electoral vote per person in the
house and senate, so on the order of 550 votes, which would be trivial to
recount.

I think the argument in 2000 was that the votes for some states got messed
up, and they wanted to take the election again, and the court said "no, you
have to use the election you have, because everyone is required to vote on
the same day."   I honestly didn't really follow the whole ruckus.

>   Sounds rather complicated. Especially if it could happen that the person
> who people voted to vote for them changes his mind and votes for someone
> else.

Yep. It's messy.

Indeed, in at least one election (Lincoln, I think), one of the electors
cast one of his votes against the winning party, since that elector figured
that George Washington should be the only president unanimously elected.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 2 Dec 2009 17:24:48
Message: <4b16e930$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/02/09 15:11, Warp wrote:
> Florian Pesth<fpe### [at] gmxde>  wrote:
>> If it is about forbidding
>> muslims to have a tower to signal the start of a prayer - like christians
>> do - than yes, I think this is xenophobic and the outcry of people in
>> whole europe is fully justified.
>
>    Hence democracy is a bad thing because people can vote for the wrong
> things.

	Don't know about the Swiss, but in the US, passing a law that targets a
particular recognized religious group would be ruled unconstitutional.
The constitution simply doesn't allow it - regardless of what the
majority says (unless it involves national security or something).

	As someone on a forum elsewhere pointed out: If you can allow any laws
on the grounds that the majority wants it, then you don't have a
functioning constitution.

--
Even if you win the rat race, you are still a rat.

Post a reply to this message

From: Clarence1898
Date: 2 Dec 2009 17:25:00
Message: <web.4b16e8f2118f42e0f0b197720@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Clarence1898 <cla### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> > According to the 12th amendment if no person has a majority of the electoral
> > vote, the House of Representatives will choose the president from the three
> > candidates with the highest vote.
>
>   So what exactly happened in 2000? (I have to admit I didn't follow that
> debacle too closely.)
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Without Florida's electoral votes, neither candidate had a majority.  So whoever
won Florida's popular vote won their electoral vote and thus the election.
Since the vote count was so  close in Florida, the big fuss was over the recount
of ballots.  Some ballots were excluded because it wasn't clear which candidate
it was for.

Isaac.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 Dec 2009 18:28:27
Message: <4b16f81b@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Am Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:11:42 -0500 schrieb Warp:

> > Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> >> If it is about forbidding
> >> muslims to have a tower to signal the start of a prayer - like
> >> christians do - than yes, I think this is xenophobic and the outcry of
> >> people in whole europe is fully justified.
> >
> >   Hence democracy is a bad thing because people can vote for the wrong
> > things.

> It's not democracy which is bad, but the people who want to get rid of it
> by abusing it.

  Democracy doesn't mean "every minority must have its way". It means that
the majority decides what happens to them. It's that simple.

  If minorities get precedence of the majority, that's not democracy anymore.
The current trend is that minorities *should* have precedence, and hence
democracy as a concept is a bad thing.

  The reason why democracy has always been a good thing is that it creates
unity. When minorities get precedence over the majority, that only causes
discord and resentment, especially the more the minority groups there are
getting special privileges. You end up dividing the society, and such a
society cannot last.

  The same trend also abhors freedom of speech for very similar reasons:
It allows people to express the "wrong", majority opinions, which some
minorities might find offensive (or, rather often, what multiculturalists
themselves find offensive on behalf of the minorities even though those
minorities themselves don't).

  I'm sorry if upholding democracy and freedom of speech offends someone.
Personally I value them more than some minarets.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 2 Dec 2009 18:32:44
Message: <4b16f91c@news.povray.org>
andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93n-EmGknEU

  Maybe the means are not always correct, but at least someone is *trying*
to do something about the world's problems instead of just sitting on their
asses doing nothing and just hoping that the problems will solve themselves
with enough appeasing and concessions.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 2 Dec 2009 18:50:42
Message: <4B16FD51.8040805@hotmail.com>
On 3-12-2009 0:32, Warp wrote:
> andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93n-EmGknEU
>
>   Maybe the means are not always correct, but at least someone is *trying*
> to do something about the world's problems instead of just sitting on their
> asses doing nothing and just hoping that the problems will solve themselves
> with enough appeasing and concessions.

Given that this was recorded in 1965, did that trying have the desired
effect?

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 2 Dec 2009 20:39:28
Message: <4b1716d0$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/02/09 17:28, Warp wrote:
>    Democracy doesn't mean "every minority must have its way". It means that
> the majority decides what happens to them. It's that simple.

	And as stated, probably no country has a democracy, nor do they seem to
want one.

	If you allow the majority to have whatever they want, then it's
possible to go back to "No colored people allowed".

--
Even if you win the rat race, you are still a rat.