POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Switzerland & minarets : Re: Switzerland & minarets Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Switzerland & minarets
From: Warp
Date: 2 Dec 2009 18:28:27
Message: <4b16f81b@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Am Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:11:42 -0500 schrieb Warp:

> > Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> >> If it is about forbidding
> >> muslims to have a tower to signal the start of a prayer - like
> >> christians do - than yes, I think this is xenophobic and the outcry of
> >> people in whole europe is fully justified.
> >
> >   Hence democracy is a bad thing because people can vote for the wrong
> > things.

> It's not democracy which is bad, but the people who want to get rid of it
> by abusing it.

  Democracy doesn't mean "every minority must have its way". It means that
the majority decides what happens to them. It's that simple.

  If minorities get precedence of the majority, that's not democracy anymore.
The current trend is that minorities *should* have precedence, and hence
democracy as a concept is a bad thing.

  The reason why democracy has always been a good thing is that it creates
unity. When minorities get precedence over the majority, that only causes
discord and resentment, especially the more the minority groups there are
getting special privileges. You end up dividing the society, and such a
society cannot last.

  The same trend also abhors freedom of speech for very similar reasons:
It allows people to express the "wrong", majority opinions, which some
minorities might find offensive (or, rather often, what multiculturalists
themselves find offensive on behalf of the minorities even though those
minorities themselves don't).

  I'm sorry if upholding democracy and freedom of speech offends someone.
Personally I value them more than some minarets.

--
                                                          - Warp