POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Miracle products (Message 95 to 104 of 114)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: Miracle products
Date: 30 Nov 2009 14:24:20
Message: <4b141be4$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> I get the feeling that there are some things acupuncture can be used for
> in modern medicine, and others that it shouldn't be used for.

The problem, as I pointed out to someone else, is that you have a *lot*
of medical doctors doing these sorts of studies, but not all of them are
scientifically trained. When ever you run into something like this you
have about half the studies run by people making critical mistakes, and
not being immediately caught doing it, often with very small numbers of
patients in the groups. Other studies, on the same matter, end up
contradicting them. So far, what I have seen, implies, rather strongly,
that this is what is going on here. After all, some of these same
doctors are noted for a) prescribing medications that are not intended
for use X, for that, because the side effect of treating Y seems to
produce and effect that could help X, or b) presenting other even more
"alternative" treatments, along side the stuff they published a study on.

Point being, would you trust someone doing a study, who has no training
in running proper studies, and also believes in homeopathy? This isn't
always the case, which makes things even more confused, but all too
often you find the people behind the studies are either believers in
other quack, or funded by such. If, and this is a big if, it actually
does do something in some obscure cases, I am still not sure that the
unfortunate side effect of finding this out, that of having a huge
number of people insist that it still does work for allergies, and
pointing at non-related studies of something that it does work for, is
worth the relatively small benefit that might be gained from it.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {