POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:19:44 EDT (-0400)
  Miracle products (Message 11 to 20 of 114)
From: M a r c
Subject: Re: Miracle products
Date: 26 Nov 2009 09:41:26
Message: <4b0e9396@news.povray.org>

4b0e83f5$1@news.povray.org...

> Indeed. Price it high enough and people will believe that it *must* work,
> otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell it for that price.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oil_Sniffer_Hoax

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Nov 2009 09:53:35
Message: <4b0e966f@news.povray.org>
>> Indeed. Price it high enough and people will believe that it *must* work,
>> otherwise they wouldn't be able to sell it for that price.
>>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Oil_Sniffer_Hoax

There is a phrase that is somewhat over-used on the Internet which none
the less seems to fit this perfectly.

Truly Epic Failure.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 26 Nov 2009 11:02:32
Message: <4b0ea698@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
>> Just when I thought my opinion of humanity could not get any lower:
>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/world/middleeast/04sensors.html
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADE_651
>> http://www.ade651.com/ade651in.html
>
>   You wouldn't believe how easily scientists themselves are fooled by
> magicians and tricksters because they, for whatever reason, don't
> understand the importance of some of the most basic scientifical testing,
> such as double-blind controlled tests.
>
>   The "double" there is quite important. Many scientists are way too
> confident on their own capacity to not to influence the test results and
> to interpret the results impartially.

Didn't both the CIA and the KGB at a stage seriously study psychokinesis,
"reading" and other types of "extrasensory" phenomena for possible military
applications?

--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message