POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:19:20 EDT (-0400)
  Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam (Message 1 to 10 of 54)
From: Darren New
Subject: Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam
Date: 25 Nov 2009 18:54:21
Message: <4b0dc3ad$1@news.povray.org>
http://mi.eng.cam.ac.uk/~qp202/my_papers/BMVC09/
--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   You know the kamikaze monsters in Serious Sam
     with the bombs for hands, that go AAAAAHHHHHHHH!
   I want that for a ring tone.

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 26 Nov 2009 04:24:11
Message: <4b0e493b$1@news.povray.org>
Doesn't appear to be very accurate though... (And that's only for
objects with trivial geometry.)

Post a reply to this message

> Doesn't appear to be very accurate though... (And that's only for
> objects with trivial geometry.)

Well, it *is* a doctoral thesis. Wait till it gets productized. You're
seeing a proof of concept here.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

>> Doesn't appear to be very accurate though... (And that's only for
>> objects with trivial geometry.)
>
> Well, it *is* a doctoral thesis. Wait till it gets productized. You're
> seeing a proof of concept here.

LOL. Is "productized" even a word?

Anyway, you're acting like once you can turn a pair of images into a
grainy, vaguely-correct 3D model, it will then be a "trivial" task to
turn this into something that actually works properly. I'm not sure it is.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>>> Doesn't appear to be very accurate though... (And that's only for
>>> objects with trivial geometry.)
>>
>> Well, it *is* a doctoral thesis. Wait till it gets productized. You're
>> seeing a proof of concept here.
>
> LOL. Is "productized" even a word?

It is in my country, yes.

> Anyway, you're acting like once you can turn a pair of images into a
> grainy, vaguely-correct 3D model, it will then be a "trivial" task to
> turn this into something that actually works properly. I'm not sure it is.

I imagine one could not too difficultly add code that would help the
software figure out what it needs to see to be correct. It'll certainly be
easier to start with the almost-right model than to start from scratch.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> I imagine one could not too difficultly add code that would help the
> software figure out what it needs to see to be correct. It'll certainly be
> easier to start with the almost-right model than to start from scratch.

Even if it can't get it 100% correct, it would be great for very quickly
getting a 95% correct mesh done (with textures!), that only requires a bit
of tidying up in a modeller knowing that the overall dimensions and
proportions are correct.

Post a reply to this message

>> I imagine one could not too difficultly add code that would help the
>> software figure out what it needs to see to be correct. It'll
>> certainly be easier to start with the almost-right model than to start
>> from scratch.
>
> Even if it can't get it 100% correct, it would be great for very quickly
> getting a 95% correct mesh done (with textures!), that only requires a
> bit of tidying up in a modeller knowing that the overall dimensions and
> proportions are correct.

I guess I was hoping for a system that would take a pair of photos and
reproduce the blades of the grass, or the bumpmap of the grain in the
wood, or the individual sugar grains in a sugar jar, or similar. You
know, like the human eye can. The demo here seems very far from this level.

Post a reply to this message

> I guess I was hoping for a system that would take a pair of photos and
> reproduce the blades of the grass, or the bumpmap of the grain in the
> wood, or the individual sugar grains in a sugar jar, or similar. You know,
> like the human eye can.

That's impossible from two photos, you may *think* your eyes can do this
perfectly, but a lot of it is just your brain making stuff up based on what
it is expecting to be there.

Post a reply to this message

>> I guess I was hoping for a system that would take a pair of photos and
>> reproduce the blades of the grass, or the bumpmap of the grain in the
>> wood, or the individual sugar grains in a sugar jar, or similar. You
>> know, like the human eye can.
>
> That's impossible from two photos, you may *think* your eyes can do this
> perfectly, but a lot of it is just your brain making stuff up based on
> what it is expecting to be there.

Wouldn't it depend on the resolution of the images and the size of the
objects in question?

You can't make out sand grains on the brach from 4 miles out to sea, but
I'm damned well sure you can when you're laying in the sand reading a
book. :-P

Post a reply to this message