POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And you thought flash was only good for youtube. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  And you thought flash was only good for youtube. (Message 21 to 30 of 48)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: And you thought flash was only good for youtube.
Date: 27 Nov 2009 04:51:52
Message: <4b0fa138@news.povray.org>
>> You know that Ogg is only a container format, not a codec, right? ;-)
>
> I was told by a ffmpeg developer that ogg is quite a crap container format,
> and that Matroska is way better. Of course, you're free to use it with
> Theora and Vorbis (the codecs usually used with Ogg).

I've read the Ogg spec. Looks OK to me.

(Then again, the only other container format I know of is IFF...)

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 27 Nov 2009 05:14:09
Message: <4b0fa671@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
> > You can Google the codec up yourself. I'm too lazy. Is Vorbis a (video)
> > codec?

> Vorbis is audio. Theora is video. Ogg is container.

  And a codec is a piece of software, so it's nothing of those.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Date: 27 Nov 2009 05:27:24
Message: <4b0fa98c@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   And a codec is a piece of software, so it's nothing of those.

Really? I thought the term "codec" refers to the data format, and the
algorithm for producing/consuming it? (I.e., the specification document
is the codec, the software is an "implementation of" the codec, and any
files using it are "uses of" the codec.)

Post a reply to this message

> >   And a codec is a piece of software, so it's nothing of those.

> Really? I thought the term "codec" refers to the data format, and the
> algorithm for producing/consuming it? (I.e., the specification document
> is the codec, the software is an "implementation of" the codec, and any
> files using it are "uses of" the codec.)

    "A codec is a device or computer program capable of encoding and/or
    decoding a digital data stream or signal. The word codec is a
    portmanteau (a blending of two or more words) of
    'compressor-decompressor' or, more accurately, 'coder-decoder'."

  It's a piece of software (or hardware, if we are technical).

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>>   And a codec is a piece of software, so it's nothing of those.
>
>> Really? I thought the term "codec" refers to the data format, and the
>> algorithm for producing/consuming it? (I.e., the specification document
>> is the codec, the software is an "implementation of" the codec, and any
>> files using it are "uses of" the codec.)
>
>     "A codec is a device or computer program capable of encoding and/or
>     decoding a digital data stream or signal. The word codec is a
>     portmanteau (a blending of two or more words) of
>     'compressor-decompressor' or, more accurately, 'coder-decoder'."
>
>   It's a piece of software (or hardware, if we are technical).

Mmm, interesting...

Post a reply to this message