POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry Server Time
9 Oct 2024 12:16:48 EDT (-0400)
  Trivial trigonometry (Message 39 to 48 of 178)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Trivial trigonometry
Date: 30 Nov 2009 08:15:39
Message: <4b13c57b$1@news.povray.org>
>> Aren't we *in* the Milky Way?
>
> Yes, and it's quite a flat disc, so looking out from Earth along the
> plane of the disc you see a lot more stars than looking out
> perpendicular to it, this looks like a brighter band going across the sky.

I will admit I don't know much about the geometry of our galaxy, but I
was under the impression that the disk is hundreds of billions of light
years "thick", it's just that it's quadrillions of light years across as
well. The point being, the disk is many million stars thick, and so we
should see them in just about every direction we look.

>>> BTW if you're interested, one of the brightest "stars" in the sky at
>>> the moment is actually Jupiter.
>>
>> Any ideas what the visual angle for that is? ;-)
>
> Wikipedia tells me the radius is 71500 km, Stellarium tells me it's
> 5.224 AU away from us, so googling "2*71500 km / 5.224 AU in degrees"
> gives 0.01 degrees.

So... about 36 seconds of arc. Man, that's pretty small.

Post a reply to this message

> Yes, and it's quite a flat disc, so looking out from Earth along the plane
> of the disc you see a lot more stars than looking out perpendicular to it,
> this looks like a brighter band going across the sky.

This is a pretty awesome photo of the whole thing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Deathvalleysky_nps_big.jpg

Not exactly what you'd see with the naked eye but it gives you the idea.

> >> BTW if you're interested, one of the brightest "stars" in the sky at the
> >> moment is actually Jupiter.
> >
> > Any ideas what the visual angle for that is? ;-)
>
> Wikipedia tells me the radius is 71500 km, Stellarium tells me it's 5.224 AU
> away from us, so googling "2*71500 km / 5.224 AU in degrees" gives 0.01
> degrees.

Jupiter and Saturn are particularly easy to pick out, because they're big enough
to be actual discs rather than points like regular stars. And if you can hold
binoculars steady enough you'll just about see Saturn's rings.

Post a reply to this message

> This is a pretty awesome photo of the whole thing:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Deathvalleysky_nps_big.jpg
>
> Not exactly what you'd see with the naked eye but it gives you the idea.

This is awesomer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Perseid_Meteor.jpg

Here in the name of God does the night sky actually look like this?!

Post a reply to this message

> I will admit I don't know much about the geometry of our galaxy, but I was
> under the impression that the disk is hundreds of billions of light years
> "thick",

It's much smaller than you think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_way

> So... about 36 seconds of arc. Man, that's pretty small.

It's still one of the very few objects in the sky that allows you to
actually see its shape with a good pair of binoculars or a small telescope
though.

Post a reply to this message