POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents (Message 41 to 50 of 81)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
Date: 20 Nov 2009 17:03:17
Message: <4b071225$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> which is that such things are, "obvious to those skilled
> in the art and hence unpatentable".

Except they're not always, and it's not the patent examiner's job to say
whether some *other* expert asked the same question would invent the same
invention.

> "Sorry, but even if this is a blindingly obvious solution for people
> that know how the machine works, its still patentable."

That's fine, but that's not really what the patent examiner looks at. Again,
"obvious" has a technical legal definition that does *not* mean "anyone
skilled in the art would have thought about this if asked."

Was RSA or Diffie-Helman "obvious"?  Was First Virtual "obvious"?  Both
pretty much astounded the experts in the field, all of whom thought it was
impossible to do such a thing at all.

Hell, I have a patent just issued on how to print different receipts on a
credit card terminal depending on what you just bought.  It was damned
obvious to me, but after talking to three manufacturers of terminals and
asking how to do it and getting back "there's no way to do that on our brand
of terminals", we figured it wasn't nearly so obvious to the experts in the
field as it seemed.

> So... Tell me again how no one is making this absurd argument?

OK. Nobody said it's a new machine. They said it's an improved machine.

If I figure out how to add color to TV broadcasts, have I not simply
improved the television?

> I am sure I linked the groklaw page talking about this some place, but
> maybe I didn't..
>
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20091111151305785

"""

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?

Post a reply to this message