POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 21 Nov 2009 14:42:48
Message: <4b0842b8$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Semantics. Seriously, try that one on something with firmware.
>
> Note that if you use the rule "it's something a human could do with
> pencil and paper, only faster", you rule out patents on actual CPUs, on
> technology that makes chips faster, etc. Since they're by definition
> only doing what a human can do, only faster, then no improvements in
> semiconductor manufacture or chip layout can be patented either.

No I fracking don't. Its not enough that a human can do it. The
requirement is not that it be a human doing it, it be that a human can
"follow the instructions". A CPU replaces the human **not the
instructions** the human is following. That is where the difference is.
Software isn't a CPU, its not the "thing" doing anything, its,
"instructions on what to do, using what ever tools are available to do
it, to get a specific result". This is not the same as the thing that
processes those instructions, its not the shovel digging the hole, its
the note saying, "how deep, and where", its not a CPU, its the thing
telling the CPU what its is supposed to do. It isn't the human being, or
the wood cabinet they are building, its the bloody sheet of paper
telling them, "Insert tab A into slot B.". And, to state it again,
stuffing the sheet into a box of parts, and claiming that this makes the
instructions part of a "patent", just because its not part of the box
contents is not a valid argument, any more than the even sillier
suggestion that, while I am building the cabinet, I become patentable,
or, more precisely, "The interactions of any human with our set of
instructions, which turn them into a manufacturer of cabinets.", which
is what some of these things amount to claiming, only without using the
term "human". But, the point of the distinction about "non-patentability
of algorithms", is that you can't replace "human", with bird, monkey,
space alien, or *CPU*, and suddenly have the definition thrown out.
Either it is something that falls under the definition, or it isn't. If
it isn't, then you need something more substantial than, "Well, its
because a person isn't doing it."

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {