POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:55 EDT (-0400)
  Modern Linux desktops suck (Message 41 to 50 of 127)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
Date: 17 Nov 2009 22:30:22
Message: <4b036a4e@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>> The scroll-wheel-switches-desktops thingie Warp is so fond of I find
>> actually quite annoying, can't think of how anyone might like it - as it
>> has the scroll wheel change functionality dramatically depending on what
>> the mouse cursor is currently hovering over.
>
>   On the contrary, I find Windows' behavior with the mouse wheel absolutely
> irritating.
>
>   *Of course* the mouse wheel behavior should depend on where the cursor
> is currently, exactly in the same way as *clicking*. I'm accustomed to use
> the mouse wheel in the exact same way as I use the other mouse buttons:
> I point where I want the scrolling to happen, and roll the wheel, and I
> expect that thing I'm pointing at to scroll, in the exact same way that
> if I point to something and left-click, I expect that thing to be selected,
> or if I right-click for a context menu for the pointed thing to pop up.

Mind you, what I find rritating is not the fact that the mouse wheel
events are routed to the application that happens to be pointed at right
now - I do see the logic, and could get used to it. What I find
irritating is the functionality it has when routed to the desktop. First
because the functionality is pretty much different, and secondly because
it may also affect what actually /is/ under the mouse cursor, as the
next turn of the wheel will bring up a different desktop with different
windows at different places. So that if for instance I scroll one
desktop too far, I may not be able to instantly scroll back, and may
have to find some empty desktop space first.

>   Thus it's not surprising that I find switching desktops with the mouse
> wheel quite natural: If I "scroll" the desktop background, it jumps to the
> virtual desktop in that direction.

Yes, but normally just turning the wheel the other direction without
moving the mouse an inch will scroll the same control right back.

With the desktop, you may be in for a surprise there.

Post a reply to this message