POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 18 Nov 2009 01:19:02
Message: <4b0391d6$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/17/09 23:16, clipka wrote:
> Ah, while we're ranting anyway...
>
> Why the **** does /no/ graphical user interface provide a way to
> rearrange the running programs in taskbar?! I mean, that shouldn't be
> /too/ difficult to implement, right?

	After having used my current WM for over 5 years now, I have to ask:
Why do y'all need a taskbar anyway?

	Seriously.

	I have many windows open, I don't need the taskbar. My Alt-Tab behavior
is good and fast enough (and with virtual desktops, I rarely have more
than 2 windows open in the same desktop - unless I'm doing image
processing or something).

	When I minimize, I get a nice mini-screenshot of the window at the
bottom of the screen. Makes it really easy to select it. With my current
settings, I can't move them around. I could enable a setting that lets
me move the minimized icon anywhere on the screen, so in principle I
could rearrange (roughly infinite degrees of freedom).

	Of course, this whole minimized icon relies on the fact that I have no
icons on my desktop. Which brings me to the next question:

	Why do people have icons on their desktop? I guess if you want to have
access to some file *really* fast, it's convenient. However, if I go
down that road, the whole desktop is full inside of one month. I've been
doing fine with an iconless desktop for all these years now.

--
I didn't know my husband drank until one day he came home sober.