POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Iterated derivatives Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Iterated derivatives (Message 31 to 40 of 93)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Iterated derivatives
Date: 16 Nov 2009 11:15:10
Message: <4b017a8e$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Which just goes to show the problem I have with 90% of all matehmatical
> notation. It's so utterly inconsistent that even something like
> (f(f(x))) is ambiguous.

Several millennia of mathematical discoveries, all made by different
people in different places, and apparently several of them discovered
the same or similar things, but gave them different names - or gave them
names which clash with existing but inrelated things they didn't know about.

Just for giggles: how many meanings can you find for "normal"?

There's the normal distribution, normal vectors, a normed space...

Post a reply to this message