POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Iterated derivatives : Re: Iterated derivatives Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iterated derivatives
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 16 Nov 2009 12:16:43
Message: <op.u3hzl4q47bxctx@e6600>
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:12:29 +0100, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:

> Which just goes to show the problem I have with 90% of all matehmatical
> notation. It's so utterly inconsistent that even something like
> (f(f(x))) is ambiguous.

Although I understand (and to some extent agree with) the point you are
trying to make, (f(f(x))) is not ambiguous in mathematical notation. The
problems come when you remove parentheses or interpret them in a
non-standard manner. Wolfram Alpha does those things because mathematical
notation does not translate easily into ASCII.

--
FE