POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Vulnerable technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  Vulnerable technology (Message 41 to 50 of 60)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Vulnerable technology
Date: 11 Nov 2009 16:37:52
Message: <4afb2eb0$1@news.povray.org>
> Would be an interesting twist: First world being thrown back behind the
> third world...

Where the hell is the *second* world, anyway??

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 11 Nov 2009 17:05:09
Message: <4afb3515@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> I'm wondering... All those absurdly fat people? Would they even *need*
>>> to eat?
>>
>> Brains don't work from fat. They *need* sugar.
>
> ...which is why the liver metabolises fat into sugar?

Hmm... I recalled that if sugar was high, the liver converted sugar into
fat, but if sugar was low, it didn't convert fat back into the same kind of
sugar, and neurones notably couldn't use that.

I must be mixing it up with something else...

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:37:59 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>> Would be an interesting twist: First world being thrown back behind the
>> third world...
>
> Where the hell is the *second* world, anyway??

The USSR member nations and their allies, IIRC.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

>>> Would be an interesting twist: First world being thrown back behind the
>>> third world...
>> Where the hell is the *second* world, anyway??
>
> The USSR member nations and their allies, IIRC.

Yes, I guess so (except that it's no longer USSR anymore). China, too, I
think.

As a random guess, I'd say Latin America might mostly fall in that
category, too.

India? Pakistan?

I guess the boundaries have also shifted since the term was coined.

Post a reply to this message