POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Swell. (Message 11 to 20 of 312)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Swell.
Date: 9 Nov 2009 04:44:49
Message: <4af7e491$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 11:42:48 +0200, Stefan Viljoen wrote:

>>> (Then again, I don't have any hard data on the reliability of HD
>>> verses tape verses CD. I've heard that spinning HD up and down wears
>>> it out faster than keeping it spinning, but I don't know if that's
>>> true...)
>>
>> Well, I didn't say anything about shutting the drive down.
>
> I've seen this phenomenon on older drives. Had a HDD in a system here
> that was left on for years, probably been turned off 20 or 30 times in
> its useful life. The fortieth or forty-fifth time the server was turned
> off, the HDD died - after running reliably (while not being turned off,
> ever) for 5 or 6 years. Ok, old hardware and an old drive, but just goes
> to show. Keep 'em spinning is better than spin-up / spin-down on a daily
> basis.

I don't know, I've got a drive that I take to the office with me about
every 2 weeks.  It sits at home off usually (unless I need something off
of it).  It's actually 2 500 GB drives in an enclosure that Maxtor sold
about 4 years ago now.

I bought two of 'em.

One stayed plugged in 24x7 for 3 years and then it croaked - most likely
a head crash.  The other has had periodic use for 5 years and shows no
signs of slowing down.

Of course the first showed no signs of slowing down either - right up to
the minute that it croaked.

Jim

Post a reply to this message