POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Swell. : Re: Swell. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Swell.
From: Tim Cook
Date: 9 Nov 2009 06:53:00
Message: <4af8029c@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> There is - but not for sane prices, no.
>>
>> A 1.5 GB SATA Seagate Barracuda drive costs a mere $95 from newegg.

You mean TB, mayhaps?

>> I guess that arguably is an insane price - insanely cheap.
>
> I don't know, man... Backing up spinning disk to... spinning disk? Is
> that such a sensible idea?
>
> (Then again, I don't have any hard data on the reliability of HD verses
> tape verses CD. I've heard that spinning HD up and down wears it out
> faster than keeping it spinning, but I don't know if that's true...)

As for myself, I've never had much luck with optical media.  Trust them
way less than hard drives.  But I'm planning on getting a new desktop at
the end of the month with 2x1 TB and was going to use this external
drive as the backup for *that* (until I need a second one)...

As I said, I *hope* it's just the enclosure that croaked, and the drive
itself is just fine.

If it's not...I dunno.  Data recovery places are expensive, and I don't
know if I can justify $1000+ even on the ~year's worth of data I had, at
the moment.  How time-critical are these kinds of things?  Can I just
keep it and when I have more money in a few months send it to a data
recovery place, if I can't get it working myself?

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net