POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about imperial units Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:39 EDT (-0400)
  Question about imperial units (Message 10 to 19 of 49)
<<< Previous 9 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Question about imperial units
Date: 7 Nov 2009 13:25:52
Message: <4af5bbb0$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>   Another question:
>
>   Is there a reason that 1 gallon is exactly 231 cubic inches? Was a gallon
> first defined in terms of cubic inches? (And why such an arbitrary number
> as 231?)
>
>   Why no such round number with cubic feet? 1 gallon = 0.133680556 cubic feet.

231 cubic inch, actually.

"The wine gallon, which some sources relate to the volume occupied by
eight medieval merchant pounds of wine, was at one time defined as the
volume of a cylinder six inches deep and seven inches in diameter, i.e.
6 * (3+1/2)2 * pi ~= 230.90706 cu in.  It had been redefined during the
reign of Queen Anne, in 1706, as 231 in^3 exactly (3 * 7 * 11 in), which
is the result of the earlier definition with pi approximated to 22/7."

The wine gallon is the one adopted by the U.S. as "the" gallon. Note
that Brits and Canadians went for the "imperial gallon" instead.

(WIYF)

Post a reply to this message

> >   Is there a reason that 1 gallon is exactly 231 cubic inches? Was a gallon
> > first defined in terms of cubic inches? (And why such an arbitrary number
> > as 231?)
> >
> >   Why no such round number with cubic feet? 1 gallon = 0.133680556 cubic feet.

> 231 cubic inch, actually.

  Isn't that what I said? Or are you saying that "cubic inches" is incorrect
and should instead be "cubic inch"?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>>>   Is there a reason that 1 gallon is exactly 231 cubic inches? Was a gallon
>>> first defined in terms of cubic inches? (And why such an arbitrary number
>>> as 231?)
>>>
>>>   Why no such round number with cubic feet? 1 gallon = 0.133680556 cubic feet.
>
>> 231 cubic inch, actually.
>
>   Isn't that what I said? Or are you saying that "cubic inches" is incorrect
> and should instead be "cubic inch"?

No, I just shot first and read later :-)

Post a reply to this message