POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about imperial units Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:15 EDT (-0400)
  Question about imperial units (Message 21 to 30 of 49)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Question about imperial units
Date: 9 Nov 2009 14:37:35
Message: <4af86f7f@news.povray.org>
Doctor John <rea### [at] mysig> wrote:
> Sure it does. Ten square metres is an area of two metres by five metres,
> an area ten metres square is ten by ten = 100 m^2

  Where did the 100 come from? And wouldn't that be "ten metres squared"?
Even then, I still haven't heard anyone use such expression.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 9 Nov 2009 14:58:36
Message: <4af8746c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Doctor John <rea### [at] mysig> wrote:
>> Sure it does. Ten square metres is an area of two metres by five metres,
>> an area ten metres square is ten by ten = 100 m^2
>
>   Where did the 100 come from? And wouldn't that be "ten metres squared"?
> Even then, I still haven't heard anyone use such expression.

10 meters square makes perfect sense, if you are used to standard (or

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 9 Nov 2009 16:19:55
Message: <4af8877a@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aoldotcom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> > Doctor John <rea### [at] mysig> wrote:
> >> Sure it does. Ten square metres is an area of two metres by five metres,
> >> an area ten metres square is ten by ten = 100 m^2
> >
> >   Where did the 100 come from? And wouldn't that be "ten metres squared"?
> > Even then, I still haven't heard anyone use such expression.
> >
> 10 meters square makes perfect sense, if you are used to standard (or
> British) English. The ???d??? is assumed.

  Even so, "makes perfect sense" and "is commonly used" are two different
things. I don't know how it's in other countries, but I have never heard
anyone using anything similar to "meters square" (instead of "square meters")
here. If anything, that would cause confusion (especially if the meaning is
intended to be something different than "square meters").

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 9 Nov 2009 16:55:48
Message: <4af88fe4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Where did the 100 come from? And wouldn't that be "ten metres squared"?
> Even then, I still haven't heard anyone use such expression.

If you say "the room is ten feet square", you're saying the room is a square
ten feet on a side. Hence, 100 square feet.

It works best with almost-square surfaces being measured. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 9 Nov 2009 17:25:20
Message: <4af896d0@news.povray.org>
On 11/09/09 13:37, Warp wrote:
>    Where did the 100 come from? And wouldn't that be "ten metres squared"?
> Even then, I still haven't heard anyone use such expression.

	I hear it often. It should be squared, but that extra d sound is too
much effort. Don't know if that's just an American thing...

	I think I hear it more often when it's in the denominator
(concentration, etc).

--
Engineers: often wrong, seldom in doubt.

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 9 Nov 2009 17:26:22
Message: <4af8970e@news.povray.org>
On 11/09/09 15:19, Warp wrote:
> here. If anything, that would cause confusion (especially if the meaning is
> intended to be something different than "square meters").

	Wherever I've heard it, it means the same thing as square meters.
Thinking about it now, I hear it more often for centimeters.

From: Warp
Date: 9 Nov 2009 17:59:27
Message: <4af89ece@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Where did the 100 come from? And wouldn't that be "ten metres squared"?
> > Even then, I still haven't heard anyone use such expression.

> If you say "the room is ten feet square", you're saying the room is a square
> ten feet on a side. Hence, 100 square feet.

> It works best with almost-square surfaces being measured. :-)

  Is that *really* an expression people use regularly? Because I have never
heard or read that even in English.

  Of course such an expression is quite incorrect, technically speaking.
Squares cannot be measured in feet or meters. The *sides* of the squares can.

  The expression which *is* usually used is "there room is a ten-by-ten
feet/meters square".

  Of course in this case the expression is talking about a geometrical shape
rather than a mathematical expression.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 9 Nov 2009 18:00:36
Message: <4af89f14@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
> On 11/09/09 13:37, Warp wrote:
> >    Where did the 100 come from? And wouldn't that be "ten metres squared"?
> > Even then, I still haven't heard anyone use such expression.

>         I hear it often. It should be squared, but that extra d sound is too
> much effort. Don't know if that's just an American thing...

  Are you sure you are not confusing it with the expression "10-by-10 square"
(which is more correct anyways)?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 9 Nov 2009 19:04:58
Message: <4af8ae2a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Is that *really* an expression people use regularly? Because I have never
> heard or read that even in English.

It's not unusual, really. Yes, it is confusing.

Perhaps you haven't heard it because you're usually speaking about meters
and the people you most talk with usually speak about meters, or at least
know that people don't use the same expression with meters?

Or maybe it's just something I picked up from where I grew up, or from older
people, and perhaps it's not as common as I think.

>   Of course such an expression is quite incorrect, technically speaking.
> Squares cannot be measured in feet or meters. The *sides* of the squares can.

Yes. That's what the expression means.  "Ten feet square" or "ten feet on a
side" mean the same thing.

>   The expression which *is* usually used is "there room is a ten-by-ten
> feet/meters square".

That's the same thing, only you leave out the second "by ten" :-)

I usually hear it as "miles square" or "feet square". Rarely other units
like inches or anything, and it usually implies only a very rough
measurement.  "Would you believe his farm is four miles square?"

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

From: Warp
Date: 9 Nov 2009 20:20:11
Message: <4af8bfcb@news.povray.org>
> "Would you believe his farm is four miles square?"

  Assuming that the farm is not a perfect square, how should one even
interpret that?

--
                                                          - Warp