POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Question about imperial units : Re: Question about imperial units Server Time
8 Oct 2024 18:33:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question about imperial units
From: Warp
Date: 9 Nov 2009 16:19:55
Message: <4af8877a@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aoldotcom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> > Doctor John <rea### [at] mysig> wrote:
> >> Sure it does. Ten square metres is an area of two metres by five metres,
> >> an area ten metres square is ten by ten = 100 m^2
> >
> >   Where did the 100 come from? And wouldn't that be "ten metres squared"?
> > Even then, I still haven't heard anyone use such expression.
> >
> 10 meters square makes perfect sense, if you are used to standard (or
> British) English. The ???d??? is assumed.

  Even so, "makes perfect sense" and "is commonly used" are two different
things. I don't know how it's in other countries, but I have never heard
anyone using anything similar to "meters square" (instead of "square meters")
here. If anything, that would cause confusion (especially if the meaning is
intended to be something different than "square meters").

--
                                                          - Warp