POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something I hate about web forums Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Something I hate about web forums (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Warp
Subject: Something I hate about web forums
Date: 6 Nov 2009 19:54:40
Message: <4af4c550@news.povray.org>
The required registration.

  I understand it exists to avoid spam, but it's annoying when all I would
want to do is make a quick post on some random web forum about something.

  In this case, I had bought Mass Effect through Steam, and had a big
problem with it: No sound. The sound settings in the game seemed to have
no effect on this. Just no sound, period. I searched about the problem and
it seems to be a really common problem with people who have the same
integrated sound chip as I do. Some people have tried to come up with
really elaborate game configuration file hacks in order to get the sounds
to work, with varying success. Others just outright say "just buy a cheap
soundcard".

  But then I remembered a trick that had worked with other games which
presented sound problems: Reducing the audio hardware acceleration from
the Windows control panel to "basic". I don't know *why* that helps, but
it has helped with more than one game. I tried it, and what you know, it
helped: The sounds play now perfectly.

  Seeing so many people suffer from this problem, jumping through myriads
of hoops set up by clueless people just in order to get the sound working,
I really feel sorry about these people, and would like to be a good samaritan
and post the simple solution in the dozens of forums where people are
struggling with the problem.

  Well, except that every single freaking forum requires signing up if you
want to post anything. I'm not *that* much motivated to be a good samaritan
that I would want to go through the trouble of creating an account on a
couple of dozens of online forums (most of them probably requiring email
confirmation) just make one post containing the simple trick that fixes
the sound problems.

  Well, it's their loss. (I still somehow feel sorry for them, though.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   Well, except that every single freaking forum requires signing up if you
> want to post anything. I'm not *that* much motivated to be a good samaritan
> that I would want to go through the trouble of creating an account on a
> couple of dozens of online forums (most of them probably requiring email
> confirmation) just make one post containing the simple trick that fixes
> the sound problems.

There do exist forums that don't require registration to post.

Con:  they're 4chan and its ilk.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net