POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yurg... automatic shutdown -h now Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Yurg... automatic shutdown -h now (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Stefan Viljoen
Subject: Yurg... automatic shutdown -h now
Date: 6 Nov 2009 07:27:31
Message: <4af41632@news.povray.org>
Had my PC rendering last night.

Running FC 11 and Linux megapov... suddenly it beeps and shuts down.

Huh?

Switched it on again, nothing doing, everything running fine, the logs seem
to indicate "somebody" typed the command above. WTF?

System wasn't connected to the internet, nobody near the keyboard (I sleep
next to it) power didn't fluctuate, no cronjobs scheduled...
--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message

> Running FC 11 and Linux megapov... suddenly it beeps and shuts down.
>
> Huh?
>
> Switched it on again, nothing doing, everything running fine, the logs seem
> to indicate "somebody" typed the command above. WTF?
>
> System wasn't connected to the internet, nobody near the keyboard (I sleep
> next to it) power didn't fluctuate, no cronjobs scheduled...

You must have been sleep typing.  ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>> Running FC 11 and Linux megapov... suddenly it beeps and shuts down.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> Switched it on again, nothing doing, everything running fine, the logs
>> seem to indicate "somebody" typed the command above. WTF?
>>
>> System wasn't connected to the internet, nobody near the keyboard (I
>> sleep next to it) power didn't fluctuate, no cronjobs scheduled...
>
> You must have been sleep typing.  ;-)

Yikes! That's why I fell over the cat last night and can't remember it! :)

The system is about two meters away, unless I was having a SERIOUS nightmare
I don't see how I could do that...
--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message

If it's an ATX system check your power button and its board connection for dust,
It might have triggered accidentally.
I think ACPI maps the power button to shutdown -h now.

Aydan

PS: Or your cat did it.;o)

Post a reply to this message

> If it's an ATX system check your power button and its board connection for
> dust, It might have triggered accidentally.
> I think ACPI maps the power button to shutdown -h now.
>
> Aydan
>
> PS: Or your cat did it.;o)

Hmm thanks, I'll do that.

However, I experimented and if I hit the power switch while in Linux it just
shuts down - doesn't seem my ACPI implementation in FC11 maps it to
shutdown -h now.

Hehe, no, she was sleeping too and says she doesn't like raytracing much...!
--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message

Stefan Viljoen <spa### [at] polardcom> wrote:
> Had my PC rendering last night.
>
> Running FC 11 and Linux megapov... suddenly it beeps and shuts down.
>
> Huh?
>
> Switched it on again, nothing doing, everything running fine, the logs seem
> to indicate "somebody" typed the command above. WTF?
>
> System wasn't connected to the internet, nobody near the keyboard (I sleep
> next to it) power didn't fluctuate, no cronjobs scheduled...

What about wireless connections; like Bluetooth, any 802.11 networks or wireless
keyboards ?

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

> Stefan Viljoen <spa### [at] polardcom> wrote:
>> Had my PC rendering last night.
>>
>> Running FC 11 and Linux megapov... suddenly it beeps and shuts down.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> Switched it on again, nothing doing, everything running fine, the logs
>> seem to indicate "somebody" typed the command above. WTF?
>>
>> System wasn't connected to the internet, nobody near the keyboard (I
>> sleep next to it) power didn't fluctuate, no cronjobs scheduled...
>
> What about wireless connections; like Bluetooth, any 802.11 networks or
> wireless keyboards ?

Hi Tor

Thanks for replying. Nope, no bluetooth, no 802.11 up, no wireless keyboard.
It just as if the kernel / system "decided" to shut down.

The strange thing is (and this puzzles me) that it was a completely normal
shutdown! It did NOT crash, it came up with clean filing systems and no
auto-fsck was done.

It was as if it just decided to go down. I checked the startup and power
monitoring scripts too, no UPS is connected to the system that could
conceivably cause a false shutdown due to a "UPS is going to quit, I've
gotta quit beforehand" type situation.

--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message

> Running FC 11 and Linux megapov... suddenly it beeps and shuts down.
>
> Huh?
>
> Switched it on again, nothing doing, everything running fine, the logs seem
> to indicate "somebody" typed the command above. WTF?
>
> System wasn't connected to the internet, nobody near the keyboard (I sleep
> next to it) power didn't fluctuate, no cronjobs scheduled...

Thermal event??

Post a reply to this message

>> Running FC 11 and Linux megapov... suddenly it beeps and shuts down.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> Switched it on again, nothing doing, everything running fine, the logs
>> seem to indicate "somebody" typed the command above. WTF?
>>
>> System wasn't connected to the internet, nobody near the keyboard (I
>> sleep next to it) power didn't fluctuate, no cronjobs scheduled...
>
> Thermal event??

Hmm... I'm not sure my motherboard supports that. Its an OLD Intel 945PL-S3
board, it has this kind of naggy

NNYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

sound it makes if the CPU or GPU starts overheating.

But thanks anyway, something to investigate!
--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message

> Hmm... I'm not sure my motherboard supports that. Its an OLD Intel 945PL-S3
> board

Hmm. This is puzzling indeed...