POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yurg... automatic shutdown -h now : Re: Yurg... automatic shutdown -h now Server Time
4 Sep 2024 21:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yurg... automatic shutdown -h now
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 6 Nov 2009 11:07:50
Message: <4af449d5@news.povray.org>
Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> Stefan Viljoen <spa### [at] polardcom> wrote:
>> Had my PC rendering last night.
>>
>> Running FC 11 and Linux megapov... suddenly it beeps and shuts down.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> Switched it on again, nothing doing, everything running fine, the logs
>> seem to indicate "somebody" typed the command above. WTF?
>>
>> System wasn't connected to the internet, nobody near the keyboard (I
>> sleep next to it) power didn't fluctuate, no cronjobs scheduled...
>
> What about wireless connections; like Bluetooth, any 802.11 networks or
> wireless keyboards ?

Hi Tor

Thanks for replying. Nope, no bluetooth, no 802.11 up, no wireless keyboard.
It just as if the kernel / system "decided" to shut down.

The strange thing is (and this puzzles me) that it was a completely normal
shutdown! It did NOT crash, it came up with clean filing systems and no
auto-fsck was done.

It was as if it just decided to go down. I checked the startup and power
monitoring scripts too, no UPS is connected to the system that could
conceivably cause a false shutdown due to a "UPS is going to quit, I've
gotta quit beforehand" type situation.

--
Stefan Viljoen