POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An armed society is a safe society Server Time
9 Oct 2024 01:15:59 EDT (-0400)
  An armed society is a safe society (Message 61 to 63 of 63)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: An armed society is a safe society
Date: 8 Nov 2009 17:13:40
Message: <4af74294$1@news.povray.org>
somebody wrote:
> When someone goes on a rampage in a civilian setting, gun nuts are quick to
> point out that had the other people had guns as well, the shooter would have
> been stopped before he could inflict any serious damage. I wonder about
> their angle now.

As a retired member of the US military, I can affirm that by military
regulation, the victims were prohibited from bearing firearms in the
place where they were killed.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 8 Nov 2009 17:27:16
Message: <4af745c4$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> In "Wild West" times, the situation was possibly somewhat similar in the
> US. Nowadays, they appear to have a working law enforcement system,
> which should reduce the need for personal firearms. (After all, that's
> exactly their job, isn't it?)

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!

> Here in Germany, we live quite safe, despite(?) private gun ownership
> being  subject to severe restrictions, and being far from common.
>
> I guess the situation in the US is closer to Germany than to South
> Africa. I do concede that in a country where gun ownership restrictions
> cannot be enforced successfully, any restriction to gun ownership will
> only hurt the law-abiding. But is the US such a country?

The US situation is somewhat more complex than you will get from
watching the news.  There are parts of the US that are as safe as any
part of Germany; there are parts that are as dangerous as South Africa.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message