POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : .303 hunting rifle ammo Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  .303 hunting rifle ammo (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Stefan Viljoen
Subject: Re: .303 hunting rifle ammo
Date: 9 Nov 2009 02:35:53
Message: <4af7c658@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:

> Stefan Viljoen wrote:
>> What's the cost in your area?
>>
>> If you're allowed hunting rifles (or any firearms at all) where you live,
>> that is.
>>
>> South Africa, one round exposed lead partially jacketed deer-hunting
>> round is about USD2.25 per round.
>>
>> Anybody here like to hunt?
>
> Haven't been in a hunting supply store in a long while, so I don't know
> what the local prices might be. But, checking some surplus websites for
> this area, looks to be around USD25 for 20 rnds, or close to $300 for
> 400rnds.
>
> Tons of cheap 30-30, 30-06, and .308 but there doesn't seem to be much
> .303 ammo here.

Hmm interesting! Ok, so we're not getting screwed really with the prices we
have here.

30-30 is extremely rare in SA, I don't think I've ever even seen that
caliber on sale here - most for a Winchester lever-action carbine, right?
30-06 is well known for light and medium sized game hunting, and .308 is
THE farmer's rifle here. It is usually scoped and used for hunting game or
controlling pests (jackals, caracal, etc.) on SA farms.

.303 British is quite common since many guys my age have inherited them from
fathers and grandfathers, and more than 90% of these rifles in circulation
are unmodified military Lee-Enfields that the grandfather (usually) carried
in the Second World War. Mine is a 1918 Mark 4 that my grandad on my Mom's
side carried in WWII.
--
Stefan Viljoen

Post a reply to this message